Computing Science – Machine Learning
Experts on analyzing data are needed for solving challenging data driven problems such as understanding of text documents, conversation and social media; creating intelligent search engines; finding data-driven insights into phenomena of society, economy and culture; creating data-driven solutions for medical and biological problems; and enabling self-driving cars and autonomous robots.
Tampere University offers three related tracks that involve analysis, modeling, prediction, and computation with big data: Data Science (M.Sc.) and Statistical Data Analytics (M.Sc.) tracks focus on computational and statistical algorithms for data mining and machine learning, with differing emphases, Machine Learning (M.Sc. Tech) track focuses on engineering accurate predictive machine learning models.
Machine Learning is an engineering program, where the particular emphasis is on implementing machine learning algorithms with an application-oriented focus, with applications related to imaging, audio or other sensor data. We study both classical and novel deep learning models as well as their software and hardware implementations. Machine learning is the core technology of artificial intelligence (AI) and currently one of the hottest topics in information technology job markets.
Machine Learning (M.Sc. Tech) track is one of the seven tracks in the Master’s degree program in Computing Sciences.
Chat live with students from Tampere University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Tampere University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
To be eligible to apply to a Master’s degree program at Tampere University, you must have
- Bachelor’s degree - nationally recognized first cycle degree
- which corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study
- from relevant field for the Master’s degree program that you’re applying to
- from an accredited institution of higher education
- AND a good command of the English language for academic purposes.
A Bachelor’s degree completed in a university outside Finland must provide eligibility for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in which it was awarded.
Program-specific eligibility criteria
The previous degree should be from a field closely related to the Master's program you are applying to. In the Master’s program in Computing Sciences, Machine Learning (MSc tech) track, the previous degree has to be in one of the following (or highly related) fields:
- computing, information technology, computer science, electrical engineering, software engineering or applicable field of engineering with proficiency in mathematics, physics and elementary programming skills.
For more information about admission requirement, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Finland start
- Master's Seminar
- Introduction to Graduate Studies
- Introduction to Signal Processing
- Introduction to Image and Video Processing
- Introduction to Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning
- Introduction to Audio Processing
- Advanced Audio Processing
- Advanced Signal Processing Laboratory
- Media Analysis
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning
- Knowledge Mining and Big Data
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Data-Intensive programming
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 12000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a Master of Science (Technology) degree (120 ECTS).
- Student can solve basic and advanced pattern recognition problems.
- Student is able to find more advanced methods and adapt them to to solve the problem at hand.
- The student can apply the pattern recognition skills for audio, images or robotics.
- The student can design and use modern database systems.
- The student can implement data engineering pipelines that integrate with other information systems.
- The student can use Matlab for computational solution of a machine learning problem.
- The student can use Python libraries for computational solution of a machine learning problem.
Following the successful completion of the program, graduates are eligible to apply for entrance to doctoral programs in Finland and abroad.
After completing the program, you will be qualified to pursue a wide range of career opportunities in different fields of technology. The skills of data-driven problem solving are in high demand. This can be seen, for example, in surveys that demonstrate that data and machine learning engineers are among the highest-paid of all professional programrs. Tampere is a vibrant industrial hub for various types of companies with needs for machine learning experts.
Graduated Master’s of Science typically find employment in research, design, development, production and operating tasks, or commercial and administrative tasks relating to the field, without excluding abilities to work as a researcher, teacher or manager.
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Computing Science – Machine Learning? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...