Computing Science – Human-Technology Interaction (Ms Tech)
Digital technologies play a significant role in all areas of life. Modern societies need professionals with thorough understanding of how to design and develop user-friendly, innovative and sustainable products and services and engaging ways to interact with various technological devices.
Master’s degree studies in Human-Technology Interaction (HTI) offer a broad set of studies in human-computer interaction, digital systems and related fields. In the HTI studies, you will get up-to-date know how on digital service design, user experience evaluation, user psychology, human-centered software development, usability engineering, multimodal human-computer interaction and research skills.
From technological viewpoint, the studies cover the design and development of user interfaces for mobile and desktop applications, virtual reality, augmented reality, industrial machinery and human-robot interaction. HTI is a multi-disciplinary field and you will work with the professionals from several areas with different perspectives.
In a broader sense, you will learn how technology affects people’s lives and how to design efficient, engaging and ethical digital products and services. The degree leads you to hands-on work in various course projects, as well as provides basics for scientific thinking and writing.
Human-Technology Interaction (M.Sc.) and Human-Technology Interaction (M.Sc. Tech) tracks are two of the seven degree programs in the Master’s degree program in Computing Sciences.
Chat live with students from Tampere University
Do you want to know what it's like to study at Tampere University? Visit the link below to student ambassadors and get answers to all of your burning questions about academic and student life.
To be eligible to apply to a Master’s degree program at Tampere University, you must have
- Bachelor’s degree - nationally recognized first cycle degree
- which corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study
- from relevant field for the Master’s degree program that you’re applying to
- from an accredited institution of higher education
- AND a good command of the English language for academic purposes.
A Bachelor’s degree completed in a university outside Finland must provide eligibility for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in which it was awarded.
Program-specific eligibility criteria
The previous degree should be from a field closely related to the Master's program you are applying to. In the Master’s program in Computing Sciences, Human-Technology Interaction (MSc tech) track, the previous degree has to be in one of the following (or highly related) fields:
- Computing, information technology, computer science, electrical engineering, software engineering or other applicable field with proficiency in mathematics, physics and elementary programming skills.
For more information about admission requirement, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Finland start
- Master's Seminar
- Introduction to Graduate Studies
- Psychology in Human-Technology Interaction
- Human-Centered Product Development
- User Experience: Design and Evaluation
- Usability Evaluation Methods
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 12000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a Master of Science (Technology) degree (120 ECTS).
- The student can apply different user interface styles and interaction techniques to different contexts of use and application domains, including mobile and ubiquitous computing.
- The student can apply the findings of multidisciplinary research from both academic and professional sources. The student has basic skills in the research of HTI.
- The student can design, implement and prototype interactive systems according to human-centered design principles and processes, taking into account the goals of good user experience.
- The student knows the central methods and principles of research in HTI, including the principles based on psychology.
- The student knows the central processes and methods of software engineering, and can apply user experience knowledge in software engineering processes.
- The student understands the main theories and practices related to human-technology interaction (HTI). The student can take into account the user needs and characteristics of user experience of interactive systems.
Following the successful completion of the program, HTI graduates are eligible to apply for entrance to doctoral programs in Finland and abroad.
There are many job opportunities to choose from after graduation, such as user interface developer in different industrial sectors, user experience and interaction designer, service designer of new digital services and products or usability and customer experience specialist. Career opportunities are excellent and human-technology interaction specialists are highly appreciated by industry.
Some of the possible future careers include working as:
- Interaction designer who studies people in their natural environments and creates technology and UI designs
- User interface developer who has the skills to implement advanced front-end software solutions
- Usability and user experience specialist who makes sure that the technology designs are easy to use and fit human purposes, or
- Product manager with emphasis on user needs and user experience.
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Computing Science – Human-Technology Interaction (Ms Tech)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Chicago, United States of America