Our target group are students with a Bachelor’s degree in biological, computational or mathematical sciences who want to attain in-depth knowledge and hands-on skills in the crossroads of molecular biology, cell technology and bioinformatics, with a special emphasis on areas that have the potential to enhance human health. The courses are firmly grounded on international research and focus on transferring this knowledge into practice.
Biomedical technology is a multidisciplinary field that builds on understanding biological systems on the molecular level and develops new approaches to advance medical and biotechnological applications. The program brings together expertise and methods in a large number of natural, medical, and engineering sciences: biology, chemistry, medicine, genetics, statistics, and computational and data sciences. There are three specialisation options:
- Cell technology
- Molecular biology.
The program offers you a unique learning environment that combines biosciences and technology with a specific focus on health. The study options are flexible and the teaching groups small. During the studies, you will build networks and interact with our world-class research teams that provide many practical training opportunities. As our graduate, you may work as an academic specialist within scientific research or teaching, or in research and development. Welcome to join our multidisciplinary, multinational expert community of biomedical sciences!
To be eligible to apply to a Master’s degree program at Tampere University, you must have
- Bachelor’s degree - nationally recognized first cycle degree
- which corresponds to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to three years of full-time study
- from relevant field for the Master’s degree program that you’re applying to
- from an accredited institution of higher education
- AND a good command of the English language for academic purposes.
A Bachelor’s degree completed in a university outside Finland must provide eligibility for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in which it was awarded.
Program-specific eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply to the Master’s degree program in Biomedical Technology you must have a successfully completed Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in biosciences or information technology, or in a closely related field. If the degree is from a different field, it must include a sufficient amount of studies in biosciences or information technology.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Specialization in Bioinformatics
- Introduction to high-throughput data analysis
- Biological data analysis
- High-throughput sequencing data analysis
- Methodology course
- Bioinformatics project
- Research Seminar
- M.Sc. Thesis
Specialization in Cell Technology
- Tissue Biology
- Cell Technology and Stem Cells
- Cell Technology Laboratory
- In vitro models
- Introduction to Pharmacology and Drug Modelling
- Medical Biomaterials
- Research Seminar
- M.Sc. Thesis
Specialization in Molecular Biology
- Molecular genetics
- Functional genomics
- Protein folding and function
- Protein engineering
- Organelles and their interactions
- Cellular Processes and Signals
- Research Seminar
- M.Sc. Thesis
Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens: 12000 € per academic year.
You will not be required to pay the fee if you are:
- an EU/EEA citizen
- equivalent to EU/EEA citizen (i.e. citizen of Switzerland)
- already reside in Finland (a continuous A or a permanent P/P-EU residence permit), or have an EU Blue Card issued in Finland. The exempting residence permit must be valid when you are applying for studies and at least until 1 August i.e. when the study right commences. Please note that a residence permit in another EU/EEA country does not exempt you from the tuition fee.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Upon successful completion of the program, students will earn a Master of Science degree (120 ECTS).
Upon the successful completion of your master's degree, you will:
- be able to apply the latest methods and operating models in the fields of biotechnology and biomedical engineering to meet the needs of biosciences, health technology and bioindustry;
- be able to apply the knowledge and skills that you acquire during your advanced studies and a theoretical approach to address topical and concrete questions;
- be familiar with scientific working methods and have the ability to independently apply these methods to interpret, analyse and report data;
- be familiar with and adhere to the principles of research and professional ethics in your field;
- be able to work independently and possess self-leadership skills;
- be able to stay up-to-date with international developments in your field and be familiar with the opportunities thereof;
- have the ability to engage in international activities and collaborations;
- be qualified to pursue multidisciplinary activities and take on expert, development or leadership positions;
- have the ability to utilise your language, communication, IT and collaboration skills in the contexts of working life, scientific activities and societal debate;
- have the ability to further develop your level of competence and potentially continue your studies towards a doctoral degree;
- possess the financial and leadership skills required in your field and have the ability to further improve these skills;
- have an in-depth understanding of the principles of innovation and have the skills to embark on a career in entrepreneurship;
- be able to apply and develop methods and operating models in the field of biosciences;
- have the expertise to contribute to the development and progress of biotechnology and biomedicine.
Postgraduate study opportunities
The MSc degree completed at the end of the program qualifies for doctoral studies in the field of the specialisation both in Finland and abroad. Upon graduation research-oriented students are able to apply for a PhD position in one of the many research groups at the Faculty.
Our graduates have found work as experts in research and development in academic institutions as well as in private companies. Some work in sales and marketing and there is also a growing need for talented experts in the public sector and governmental institutions. Our graduates are also able to pursue a career in academia and continue their studies towards a PhD degree.
About this institute
Tampere University is one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. Almost all internationally recognised fields of study are represented at our university. Tampere University is a merger of the former University of Tampere and Tampere University of Technology. University...
Want to know more about Biomedical Technology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...