Geotechnical Engineering and FoundationsStructuralia
About this program
Geotechnical Engineering and Foundations
The Master’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering and Foundations at Structuralia aims at strengthening, increasing and consolidating the knowledge and skills of construction, geology and civil engineering professionals in the field of Geotechnical Engineering through a total of nine modules. In addition to the main general concepts, the program focuses special attention on numerical modeling applications by means of a solid theoretical framework and practical exercises.
The students who successfully complete the Master’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering and Foundations will have knowledge and skills to perform specialized tasks and develop their professional career in the field of geotechnical engineering in civil engineering and construction companies, as well as in architecture firms.
Module I Introduction to Geotechnics. Soil and Rocks
- Unit 1: Description of Soils
- Unit 2: Properties and Classification of Soils
- Unit 3: Description of Rocks
- Unit 4: Properties and Classification of Rocks
Module II Groundwater. Effects on Soils and Rocks
- Unit 1: Fluid Flow in Porous Media
- Unit 2: Effective Stress and Pore Pressures. Water Effects on Soil and Rocks
- Unit 3: Soil Consolidation
- Unit 4: Wells and Pumping Systems
Module III Ground Characterization, Instrumentations and Monitoring
- Unit 1. Geotechnical and Soil Investigation Campaigns
- Unit 2. Laboratory Tests in Geotechnical Engineering - I
- Unit 3. Laboratory Tests in Geotechnical Engineering - II
- Unit 4. Geotechnical Auscultation
Module IV Continuum Mechanics and Constitutive Models. Applications to Soil and Rocks
- Unit 1: Elasticity and Continuum Mechanics
- Unit 2: Plasticity Theory
- Unit 3: Soil Constitutive Models
- Unit 4: Rocks Constitutive Models
Module V Earth Pressures and Retaining Structures
- Unit 1: Theory
- Unit 2: Rigid Walls
- Unit 3: Flexible Cantilevered Walls
- Unit 4: Design Considerations
Module VI Slope Stability Analysis
- Unit 1: Slope Stability Analysis
- Unit 2: Soil Slope Stability
- Unit 3: Rock Slope Kinematic Analysis
- Unit 4: Rock Slope Stability Analysis
Module VII Shallow Foundations
- Unit 1: Determinants and Study of Failure Models
- Unit 2: Additional Notes on Bearing Capacity
- Unit 3: Serviceability Limit State(SLS)
- Unit 4: Slabs, Wells, Dynamic Aspects and Offshore Applications
Module VIII Deep Foundations
- Unit 1: Basic Concepts and Soil Piling
- Unit 2: Floating Piles in Soil, Piles in Rock and Pile Groups
- Unit 3: Workloads and Pile Settlement
- Unit 4: Pile Selection and Unusual Situations
Module IX Numerical Modelling In Geotechnics. Plaxis 2d
- Unit 1: Numerical Modelling and its Application in Geotechnics. Introduction to Plaxis 2D
- Unit 2: Applications with Plaxis 2D – Geometry and Finite Element Mesh Construction
- Unit 3: Applications with Plaxis 2D – Calculation, Water and Result Analysis
- Unit 4: Applications with Plaxis 2D – Practical Cases
Module X Master's Final Project (MFP)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available, Please check the institute website for more information.
Tuition fee: 6.490,00 €
Credits: 60 ECTS
Message the school
About this institute
Structuralia is a specialized engineering, infrastructure, energy, building and new technology graduate education school with the strong conviction that continuous quality training is vital for the professional development of engineers and architects. Structuralia was founded in 2001, and since then,...
Why study at Structuralia
At Structuralia, we are experts in specialized online graduate education with over 20 years of experience in training STEM professionals. Since our foundation in 2001, we have supported more than 115, 000 international students, mostly engineers, from up to 52 countries, to boost their professional careers.
We welcome students from the Caribbean region to join our community by pursuing our Master’s degrees. Our programs are fully adapted to the ever changing professional reality and demands in the fields of engineering, architecture, new technologies and digital transformation.
Want to know more about Geotechnical Engineering and Foundations? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!