Healthcare Science BSc
Healthcare Scientists play a vital role in the prevention, diagnosis, therapy, monitoring and rehabilitation of patients with a wide range of medical conditions. This programme is accredited by the Registration Council for Clinical Physiologists (RCCP) and the Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS). It is unique in allowing you to experience the different specialisms before choosing your route in cardiac physiology or respiratory and sleep physiology. You will spend 50 weeks on placement.
St George’s is the only UK university based on a hospital site, which specialises in medical and health sciences education, training and research. You will study in a clinical setting, adopting a patient-centred approach from the outset and mixing with the many different healthcare students and professionals you will go on to work with. On graduation, you will be eligible to register with the RCCP and apply to join the AHCS to work as a healthcare scientist. Previous graduates have also undertaken further work-based learning, including the NHS funded Scientist Training Programme, accredited by the National School of Healthcare Science (NSHCS).
With the exception of GCSEs, all qualifications must have been completed within the previous five years, including the year of application.
- Grades - BBB
- Subjects - Including Biology and one other science subject. General Studies is not accepted.
- Contextual admissions - At St George’s, we want to attract students who share our mission to improve the health of society, regardless of their background. That’s why our Contextual Admissions schemes take into consideration additional information from your application, like the school you attended or the area you live in or if you have been in care, to make the admissions process fairer.
- Award - Full Award Diploma
- Scores - Overall score of 32
- Subjects -15 points at Higher Level, including a minimum grade 5 in Biology.At Standard Level, a minimum score of 4 must be attained in Maths and English, if at least a 4 (C) has not previously been attained in GCSE/IGCSE Maths and English. We accept both Mathematics: analysis & approaches and Mathematics: applications & interpretations.
If you are applying from outside of the UK, you will need to meet the English language requirements outlined here.This is a group 1 course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Scientific Basis of Healthcare Science 1
- Scientific Basis of Cardiovascular, Respiratory and Sleep Science
- Professional Practice 1
- Scientific Basis of Healthcare Science 2
- Clinical Training 1
- Pathophysiology of Common Cardiovascular and Respiratory Conditions
- Instrumentation, Signal Processing and Imaging
- Cardiac Physiology or Respiratory and Sleep Physiology Specialist module
- Research Methods
- Professional Practice 2
- Scientific Basis of Healthcare Science 3
- Clinical Training (15 weeks of clinical placement)
- Applying Respiratory and Sleep Physiology to Practice or Applying Cardiac Physiology to Practice
- Research Project in Respiratory and Sleep Physiology or Research Project in Cardiac Physiology
- Professional Practice 3
- Clinical Training (25 weeks of clinical placement)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Teaching methods include lectures, seminars, tutorials, case-based learning, data interpretation exercises, group work, computer-aided learning, clinical skills training in simulated environments and clinical placements. In year one you will have anatomy tutorials in the dissecting room, and time spent working with students on other healthcare-related courses (including medical, biomedical, physiotherapy, diagnostic and therapeutic radiography) to lay the foundation for future practice as part of a clinical multidisciplinary team.
- Home fees : £9,250/year
- EU/International fees : £17,250/year
On completion of the course you will be eligible to apply for registration with the RCCP (Registration Council for Clinical Physiologists) or AHCS (Academy of Healthcare Science).
This degree leads to a rewarding career in healthcare science; by studying for a degree while you work in a relevant role, learning new clinical skills.
The course also offers an apprenticeship scheme for employers. It involves a substantial programme of on and off the job training. An integrated apprenticeships programme, is employer-led: employers set the standards, create the demand for apprentices to meet their skills needs, fund the apprenticeship and are responsible for employing and training the apprentice. To achieve occupational competence, an independent, end point assessment will be provided.
- Healthcare Scientist
- Clinical Trials/Research
About this institute
St George's, University of London
At St George’s, University of London, we’ve been improving health for over 250 years. As the UK’s specialist health university, we offer a wide array of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in medicine, health and science, from the exploration of global...
Why study at St George's, University of London
At St George’s, University of London, we’ve been improving health for over 250 years. As the UK’s specialist health university, we offer a wide array of medicine, science and allied health courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate level to provide you with the skills and experience you need to take your next step.
St George’s excellence has been recognised by The Complete University Guide 2022, where we are ranked within the top five universities in the UK for graduate prospects. We prepare our students with the skills and knowledge to develop into well-rounded individuals equipped for the lifelong careers.
Our close links with local healthcare trusts, in particular St George’s University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, with which we share a campus, put us in a unique position to give our students a real taste of what their future working lives hold. St George’s is tackling today’s challenges head-on, such as the work our researchers, staff and students are currently undertaking to combat Covid-19. By studying with us, you will join a community that is making a difference.
Want to know more about Healthcare Science BSc? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...