About this program
Science and Engineering Foundation Year
By the time you start your course you will have acquired an essential portfolio of academic and subject specific skills, giving you the very best chance of achieving a high-level degree.
Modules of study include a group technology project; an exploration of information and analysis; a theoretical and applied look at concepts and processes within technology; and a project relating directly to your chosen degree path. The degree related project is undertaken with the support of academics who will be teaching on the degree programme you have chosen. This ensures that the skills and knowledge which you develop during the foundation year will be directly applicable to your degree studies.
This course is intended for students without the UCAS points for direct entry. This could be mature students returning to education, younger students without the required qualifications, or students looking to change career path after completing further education qualifications.
English language requirements
Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language. The agreed minimum requirements for this course are:
- IELTS minimum 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each individual component
- TOEFL IBT minimum 80 with a minimum of 20 in each individual component
- Duolingo English Language Test - 100 overall with minimum of 90 in each component
- or equivalent.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Group Technology Project
- Information and Analysis
- Technology Concepts and Processes (Theory)
- Technology Concepts and Processes (Applied)
- Personal Development Planning
- Degree-Related Project
Scholarships & funding
Solent University offers a range of bursaries and scholarships that provide financial assistance or waive fees for tuition or accommodation. Each bursary or scholarship has specific eligibility criteria.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- UK and EU full-time fees: £9,250 per year
- International full-time fees: £12 00 per year
Successful completion of this course provides guaranteed access to any of the following undergraduate courses:
- BEng (Hons) Electronic Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Renewable Energy Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Yacht and Powercraft Design
- BEng (Hons) Yacht Design and Production
- HNC Engineering
Students should ideally be working towards a career in the STEM industries.
About this institute
Solent University is all about creating opportunities: for its students, for its staff, for its partners. It offers expertise and experiences you couldn’t get anywhere else, opening doors and making introductions. We’re focused on the practical side of higher education...
Why study at Solent University
Everything we do at Solent is focused on you – your learning, your life, your career. We offer all of the skills, knowledge, and practical experience you’ll need – all the things employers are looking for. So, when you graduate, you’ll already feel like a professional.
- Solent’s top areas of research and expertise are the creative and cultural industries, maritime and the environment, and sport, health and wellbeing.
- Gain work experience with our in-house innovative student enterprises in retail, design and web, TV, music and radio production and event management.
- Our lively student community is home to over 100 different nationalities – giving our campus and our classrooms a diverse, multicultural feel.
Be the first to write a review!