BSc (Hons) Computer Games Technology
Fascinated by the technology behind computer games? This professionally-focused degree empowers you to develop the skills to design, plan and “code” games. You will learn the tools and methods used by professionals, and how to combine them with the latest technologies to publish completed games – helping prepare you for a fantastic career at the forefront of the gaming industry.
Alongside programming, you’ll study the areas that build up the problem solving and logic skills you need to succeed, including computational thinking, designing gameplay systems, and maths for games. You’ll also have plenty of opportunities to collaborate with students studying games art and design in studio modules that simulate industry practice, and in the Video Games Academy. All this gives you the breadth and depth in all aspects of game development that puts you in the best possible position to start your career in this growing industry after graduation.
Students work in industry appropriate labs with professional level hardware, including console development and virtual reality kits.
English language requirements
Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language. The agreed minimum requirements for this course are:
- IELTS minimum 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each individual component
- TOEFL IBT minimum 80 with a minimum of 20 in each individual component
- Duolingo English Language Test - 100 overall with minimum of 90 in each component
- or equivalent.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Programming Fundamentals
- Maths for Games
- Introduction to Digital Entertainment
- Object-Oriented Development
- Scripting for Game Engines
- Computational Thinking
- Computer Games Programming
- Software Engineering for Games: Methods and Tools
- Console Development
- Engine Architecture and Tools
- Producing Games
- Gameplay and Game Design
- Gameplay Systems Programming
- Professional Development
- Software Engineering for Games: Professional Practice
- Game Technology Project
- Artificial Intelligence for Games
- Advanced Graphics Programming
- Experiential Design
- Studio Practice
Scholarships & funding
Solent University offers a range of bursaries and scholarships that provide financial assistance or waive fees for tuition or accommodation. Each bursary or scholarship has specific eligibility criteria.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- UK, EU and Channel Island full-time fees: £9,250 per year
- International full-time fees: £13,800 per year
- UK, EU and Channel Island placement year fee: £1,425
- International placement year fee: £1,850
After successfully completing your studies, there's an opportunity to continue your studies at Solent.
Suitable roles for graduates include:
- Gameplay programmer
- User interface programmer
- Graphics programmer
- Systems programmer
- Tools programmer
- Gameplay tester
- Web developer
- Software engineer
About this institute
Solent University is all about creating opportunities: for its students, for its staff, for its partners. It offers expertise and experiences you couldn’t get anywhere else, opening doors and making introductions. We’re focused on the practical side of higher education...
Why study at Solent University
Everything we do at Solent is focused on you – your learning, your life, your career. We offer all of the skills, knowledge, and practical experience you’ll need – all the things employers are looking for. So, when you graduate, you’ll already feel like a professional.
- Solent’s top areas of research and expertise are the creative and cultural industries, maritime and the environment, and sport, health and wellbeing.
- Gain work experience with our in-house innovative student enterprises in retail, design and web, TV, music and radio production and event management.
- Our lively student community is home to over 100 different nationalities – giving our campus and our classrooms a diverse, multicultural feel.
Want to know more about BSc (Hons) Computer Games Technology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
High Wycombe, England