BA (Hons) Prosthetics and Special Effects Design
Push the limits of your creative boundaries on this dynamic prosthetics and special effects degree. With a hands-on approach to design for a range of contexts, you’ll be supported to develop the skills and experience to enter a range of careers in the creative industries after graduation.
You will be encouraged to take an explorative and technical approach to prosthetics application, use of materials and creative development processes to produce innovative and contemporary special effects design work. This will include sculpting, moulding and casting for character and creature effects, refined application of make-up and hair effects and designing with 2D and 3D modelling.
Solent’s prosthetic and special effects programme is ideally suited to students who want to explore and design conceptual ideas through a wide-ranging and hands-on approach to drawing, digital conceptualisation and research.
English language requirements
Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language. The agreed minimum requirements for this course are:
- IELTS minimum 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each individual component
- TOEFL IBT minimum 80 with a minimum of 20 in each individual component
- Duolingo English Language Test - 100 overall with minimum of 90 in each component
- or equivalent.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Design Practice
- Professional Application
- Image Construction
- Character Design
- Visual Narrative
- Culture and Context
- Extending the Body
- Visual Cultures
- Horror, Film and Media
- Deviant Narratives
- Professional Practice for the Creative Economy
- Digital Bodies
- The SFX Morgue
- Creative Research Project – Proposal
- Work Based Learning
- Creative Research Project - Development and Realisation
- Speculative Design
- Creature and Concept Design
Scholarships & funding
Solent University offers a range of bursaries and scholarships that provide financial assistance or waive fees for tuition or accommodation. Each bursary or scholarship has specific eligibility criteria.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- UK, EU and Channel Island full-time fees: £9,250 per year
- International full-time fees: £13,800 per year
After successfully completing your studies, there's an opportunity to continue your studies at Solent.
Suitable roles for graduates include:
- Special effects make-up designer
- Prosthetics artist
- Prosthetics sculptor
- Mould maker
- Creature concept and character designer
- Casualty simulator
- Project management
- Studio assistant
- Digital sculpting designer
- Special effects technician
- Multi-media artist
About this institute
Solent University is all about creating opportunities: for its students, for its staff, for its partners. It offers expertise and experiences you couldn’t get anywhere else, opening doors and making introductions. We’re focused on the practical side of higher education...
Why study at Solent University
Everything we do at Solent is focused on you – your learning, your life, your career. We offer all of the skills, knowledge, and practical experience you’ll need – all the things employers are looking for. So, when you graduate, you’ll already feel like a professional.
- Solent’s top areas of research and expertise are the creative and cultural industries, maritime and the environment, and sport, health and wellbeing.
- Gain work experience with our in-house innovative student enterprises in retail, design and web, TV, music and radio production and event management.
- Our lively student community is home to over 100 different nationalities – giving our campus and our classrooms a diverse, multicultural feel.
Want to know more about BA (Hons) Prosthetics and Special Effects Design? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Cedar City, United States of America
Detroit, United States of America