BA (Hons) Make-Up and Hair Design
Nurture your individual design identity and develop professional artistry skills on this stimulating and creative make-up and hair design course – ready to launch a dynamic career as a make-up and hair designer.
On this course you will explore the many contexts of make-up and hair design within the creative industries. You will also be encouraged to take an experimental approach to application, materials and creative development processes to produce innovative and contemporary design work. This includes make-up and hair styling for fashion editorial, wig work for theatre, TV, and alternative design contexts (eg, publications, galleries and the catwalk). And to enable you to operate across design platforms, you will be trained in photography, film and digital publishing.
Solent’s makeup and hair design program is open to students from a range of academic and creative backgrounds, but applicants must supply a simple portfolio alongside their application.
Candidates should aspire to careers in beauty, fashion, editorial styling, brand development, trend forecasting or fashion marketing.
English language requirements
Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language. The agreed minimum requirements for this course are:
- IELTS minimum 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each individual component
- TOEFL IBT minimum 80 with a minimum of 20 in each individual component
- Duolingo English Language Test - 100 overall with minimum of 90 in each component
- or equivalent.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Design Practice
- Professional Application
- Image Construction
- Character Design
- Visual Narratives
- Culture and Context
- Editorial Beauty and Catwalk Stories
- Character and Identity
- Visual Cultures
- Fashion Film and Media
- Professional Practice for the Creative Economy
- The Make-up Morgue
- Radical Bodies
- Creative Research Project: Proposal
- Work Based Learning
- Creative Research Project: Development and Realisation
- Speculative Design
- Art Direction, Psychology and Image
Scholarships & funding
Solent University offers a range of bursaries and scholarships that provide financial assistance or waive fees for tuition or accommodation. Each bursary or scholarship has specific eligibility criteria.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- UK, EU and Channel Island full-time fees: £9,250 per year
- International full-time fees: £13,800 per year
After successfully completing your studies, there's an opportunity to continue your studies at Solent.
Suitable positions include:
- Make-up designer for fashion and beauty
- Freelance make-up artist in film, TV and theatre
- Hair stylist for fashion and beauty
- Wig artist for film, TV and theatre
- Beauty writer
- Artist relations
- Brand management
- Digital content editor
- Cosmetic marketing
- Content creator
- Cosmetic social media marketing
- Model scout
- Art production manager
- Social media editor
- Cosmetic and skin care development specialist
- E-Commerce stylist
- Marketing executive
- Film production
Fashion is a feeling. An attitude. An industry. Learn the skills, build a portfolio and find your place among the half a million people already working in fashion right here in the UK.
About this institute
Solent University is all about creating opportunities: for its students, for its staff, for its partners. It offers expertise and experiences you couldn’t get anywhere else, opening doors and making introductions. We’re focused on the practical side of higher education...
Why study at Solent University
Everything we do at Solent is focused on you – your learning, your life, your career. We offer all of the skills, knowledge, and practical experience you’ll need – all the things employers are looking for. So, when you graduate, you’ll already feel like a professional.
- Solent’s top areas of research and expertise are the creative and cultural industries, maritime and the environment, and sport, health and wellbeing.
- Gain work experience with our in-house innovative student enterprises in retail, design and web, TV, music and radio production and event management.
- Our lively student community is home to over 100 different nationalities – giving our campus and our classrooms a diverse, multicultural feel.
Want to know more about BA (Hons) Make-Up and Hair Design? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Diploma / certificate
Diploma / certificate