BA (Hons) English and Creative Writing
At Solent you will expand your familiarity with literature, and expand your mind, becoming a more innovative and globally-conscious writer with a huge range of classic and cutting-edge writing techniques at your command.
You will study how various forms of creative and professional writing are planned, developed and creatively executed, as well as how creative writing theory can be married to creative writing practice.
This course is for those who would like to use their creative writing skills to work within the media or creative industries. Students have plenty of opportunities to build a portfolio of published work, so this course is a great way for those who are new to creative writing to kick-start their career.
English language requirements
Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language. The agreed minimum requirements for this course are:
- IELTS minimum 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each individual component
- TOEFL IBT minimum 80 with a minimum of 20 in each individual component
- Duolingo English Language Test - 100 overall with minimum of 90 in each component
- or equivalent.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Key Moments in the History of the Novel
- Puritans to Potter: Young Adult Fiction and Children’s Literature
- Writing with Power: Professional Practice in English
- Making and Reading Poetry
- Writing Sensation and Scandal
- Writing and Selling the Short Story
- Drama, Script and Performance
- The Business of Independent Publishing
- Monsters, Madness and Marriage in 19th Century Literature
- Literature and Film of the 'New World'
- Writing the Novel
- Speculative Fiction
- Modernism: Transformative and Criminal Texts
- After Empire: Postmodern, Postcolonial, or Post-truth?
- Writing and Selling Creative Non-Fiction
- Work Experience
- Minority Experiences in Anglophone Literature
- Radical Re-Readings
Scholarships & funding
Solent University offers a range of bursaries and scholarships that provide financial assistance or waive fees for tuition or accommodation. Each bursary or scholarship has specific eligibility criteria.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- UK, EU and Channel Island full-time fees: £9,250 per year
- International full-time fees: £13,800 per year
- UK, EU and Channel Island sandwich year fee: £1,425
- International sandwich year fee: £1,850
After successfully completing your studies, there's an opportunity to continue your studies at Solent.
Graduating from Solent’s English programme, you will be well prepared for a wide range of graduate level employment opportunities. Suitable roles for graduates include:
- Freelance writer
- Press officer
- Media researcher (broadcasting, film, video)
- Public relations officer
- Copywriter or editor
- EFL teacher
- Records or archive management
Words have the power to win hearts and change minds. Wherever you see your future - whether it's writing for top brands, working in journalism, or pursuing a career in creative writing - Solent can help you take the next step.
About this institute
Solent University is all about creating opportunities: for its students, for its staff, for its partners. It offers expertise and experiences you couldn’t get anywhere else, opening doors and making introductions. We’re focused on the practical side of higher education...
Want to know more about BA (Hons) English and Creative Writing? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Cedar City, United States of America
Cedar City, United States of America