BA (Hons) Computer Games (Design)
Take your creative gaming ideas and turn them into marketable gaming products on this exciting undergraduate degree. You’ll work with experienced academics and industry professionals, designing and developing ideas into finished games preparing you with the skills and knowledge for a fascinating career after graduation.
Starting with fundamental design tools, the course focuses on creating and prototyping compelling games that engage players and build game experiences. You'll be learning the production pipeline, and building computer games using state-of-the-art game engines. As part of your learning journey, you will also learn how to build unique game controllers, work in a motion capture studio, explore virtual reality or even build your own independent game development studio.
This course is ideally suited to creative students who want to see their game ideas become working prototypes or even finished published games. Candidates typically come from a range of different academic backgrounds including computing, art, design and media.
English language requirements
Applicants who do not have English as their first language will be required to demonstrate an approved level of proficiency in the use of the English language. The agreed minimum requirements for this course are:
- IELTS minimum 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each individual component
- TOEFL IBT minimum 80 with a minimum of 20 in each individual component
- Duolingo English Language Test - 100 overall with minimum of 90 in each component
- or equivalent.
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Introduction to Digital Entertainment
- Introduction to Game Design and Prototyping
- Programming Fundamentals
- Collaborative Games
- Scripting for Game Engines
- Media Design
- Gameplay and Game Design
- Media Creation for Games
- User Centred Design
- Digital Game Design and Prototyping
- Advanced Media Creation
- Producing Games
- Project Research and Preparation
- Computer Games Design Project
- Professional Development
- Experiential Design
- Futureproof Design
- Artificial Intelligence for Games
- Studio Practice
Please note: Not all optional modules are guaranteed to run each year.
Scholarships & funding
Solent University offers a range of bursaries and scholarships that provide financial assistance or waive fees for tuition or accommodation. Each bursary or scholarship has specific eligibility criteria.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- UK, EU and Channel Island full-time fees: £9,250 per year
- International full-time fees: £13,800 per year
After successfully completing your studies, there's an opportunity to continue your studies at Solent.
Suitable roles for graduates include:
- Game designer
- Level designer
- UX designer
- Simulation designer
- VR designer
- Game producer
- Game usability specialist
- Game tester
Got a passion for digital? Whatever your specialism - business IT, game development, software engineering, games art or website design - our accredited courses can equip you with the technical skills and creative confidence that employers are looking for.
About this institute
Solent University is all about creating opportunities: for its students, for its staff, for its partners. It offers expertise and experiences you couldn’t get anywhere else, opening doors and making introductions. We’re focused on the practical side of higher education...
Why study at Solent University
Everything we do at Solent is focused on you – your learning, your life, your career. We offer all of the skills, knowledge, and practical experience you’ll need – all the things employers are looking for. So, when you graduate, you’ll already feel like a professional.
- Solent’s top areas of research and expertise are the creative and cultural industries, maritime and the environment, and sport, health and wellbeing.
- Gain work experience with our in-house innovative student enterprises in retail, design and web, TV, music and radio production and event management.
- Our lively student community is home to over 100 different nationalities – giving our campus and our classrooms a diverse, multicultural feel.
Want to know more about BA (Hons) Computer Games (Design)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...