About this program
PhD In Administration (PhD)
The Schulich doctorate comprises four tightly linked phases of study: coursework to acquire in-depth knowledge of your field of study; a comprehensive examination to demonstrate your mastery of the subject matter; defense of a formal research proposal; and a dissertation.
From the outset of the PhD program, you are invited to start thinking about the direction of your research. Scholarly development through the presentation and publication of papers with professors and other students is a cornerstone of the program.
A master’s degree with a minimum B+ average in a related discipline.
- Exceptional candidates with a bachelor’s degree may be considered. Masters degrees in Business (MBA’s) from South Asia may require further academic qualifications for consideration. A degree certificate will be required if the transcript does not indicate graduation or completion from a program.
Proof of English language proficiency.
- If you have studied full-time at a university where the language of instruction and examination were English for at least 1 year you will not be required to submit an English proficiency test score. Please note that your official university transcripts or supporting documentation from the university must state the degree was taught in English.
- IELTS (Academic Test) - 7.5 overall
- TOEFL - 100 iBT Schulich’s TOEFL code is B710 with Department Code 02
GMAT or GRE
- Acceptable scores on all measures of the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Examination taken in the last five years.
- To send your scores for these tests to us please use the following codes: GMAT code Z75-X8-80 or GRE code 5697
- Prior research experience is strongly recommended.
Completion of the online application
- The online application requires: essays (written), an updated résumé and 3 recommendations. Copies of transcripts, GMAT or GRE scores, and language proficiency test scores (if applicable) may be uploaded to facilitate the initial review process. Note that unofficial documents are sufficient at the application stage.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Coursework is intended to prepare students to carry out leading-edge research in their major field. A student’s coursework plan is developed in consultation with the faculty member from the student’s field who has been assigned as an advisor.
Students entering the PhD program without an MBA degree are required to do a number of Schulich MBA 1 Required Foundations of Management Core Courses.
Students must complete the following course requirements:
- A core of courses designed to support necessary methodology training
- A minimum of four courses in the major field
- A minimum of two electives in topics related to the major field, approved by the PhD program coordinator in the candidate’s major field of study.
These courses will normally be chosen from those offered at the 7000-level at the Schulich School of Business. With permission, some may be chosen from those offered at the graduate level by other graduate programs or at other academic institutions.
Each student must pass a comprehensive examination before proceeding to formal work on her or his dissertation. Comprehensive examinations are designed to demonstrate competence and knowledge in the field. The examination is set and administered by the faculty within the student’s major field.
The Faculty regards the comprehensive examination as a pivotal point for deciding whether students should be allowed to proceed with their studies or be encouraged to withdraw from the program.
Dissertation Proposal and Oral Defence
Candidates must prepare a written proposal to conduct original dissertation research carried out under the supervision of a supervisory committee and must defend this to the satisfaction of the thesis supervisor and members of the committee.
Dissertation and Oral Examination
Candidates must prepare a dissertation based on original research carried out under the supervision of a supervisory committee and submit the results in appropriate dissertation form. After the formal submission of the dissertation, an oral examination is held. It is expected that all or part of the dissertation will be published following professional or scientific review.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- Full time fee for Domestic Students: $1,435.51 CAD per Term/Semester
- Full time fee for International Students: $6,000 CAD per Term/Semester
Prepare for a stimulating career in academic teaching and research. Graduates from this rigorous program of study contribute to the knowledge and global practice of business through tenure stream positions at leading universities in Canada, the U.S. or abroad.
Message the school
About this institute
Schulich School of Business - York University
The Schulich School of Business, based in Toronto Canada, has been consistently ranked as the number one business school in Canada by organizations like The Economist Magazine, CNN Expansion and Forbes. At the undergraduate level, Schulich offers a Bachelor of...
Why study at Schulich School of Business - York University
- Canada’s Global Business School™: Overseas campuses in Hyderabad, India and Beijing, China as well as Satellite Centres in Beijing, Shanghai, Mumbai, Seoul, Sao Paulo and Mexico City
- Global Academic Partnerships: Students can study abroad at one of more than 80 leading management schools in 40 countries
- A Worldwide Alumni Network: 33,000+ alumni working in more than 90 countries and 93 alumni chapters in over 60 countries.
- Cutting-Edge Specializations: One of the broadest ranges of business specializations of any business school – 18 in total
- Groundbreaking Programs: North America’s first-ever cross-border executive MBA degree and one of the world’s first degrees in Business Analytics (MBAN)
- Unique Flexibility: Students can switch seamlessly between part-time and full-time study to balance changing career, lifestyle and school demands.
- Student Diversity: One of the most diverse student bodies of any MBA program in North America
- Faculty Diversity: More than 60% are international, coming from close to 30 countries and speaking in excess of 35 languages
- Program Diversity: Multi-stakeholder perspectives on business and a focus on for-profit, nonprofit and public sector organizations.
Want to know more about PhD in Administration (PhD)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!