Cosmetology - Certificate of AchievementSan Jose City College
Cosmetology - Certificate of Achievement
All available course dates
About this program
San Jose City College offers a certificate and Associate in Science degree in Cosmetology. The Cosmetology Program is designed to provide those persons interested in becoming a licensed cosmetologist with instruction in technical and theoretical knowledge relating to the basic skills in all phases of cosmetology including current salon techniques and trends. Emphasis is placed on application of skills in hair coloring, permanent waving, chemical relaxing, hair styling, hair cutting, manicuring, skin care, facials and makeup. Instruction in professionalism, salon management, chemistry, anatomy, physiology, sanitation, Cosmetology Act, rules and regulations are included.
The Cosmetology Program is composed of 1600 hours of instruction, to satisfy the requirements of the California State Board of Cosmetology. Once a student is admitted to the Cosmetology Program the student must enroll on a full-time basis (40 hours a week). The program offers a Certificate of Achievement, as well as an Associate in Science Degree. Upon completion of the certificate program, students are eligible to take the State Board Examination for licensing. The program is intended to prepare students for Cosmetology entry positions i.e., hairstylist, facialist, and manicurist.
Candidates for the Cosmetology Program must file a supplementary application. Applications are available in the Cosmetology Department C101A. Orientation meeting attendance is required prior to enrollment. A grade of "C" or better is required in each major and certificate theory and lab course. Candidates who successfully complete the applicable degree requirements may be granted an Associate in Science Degree in Cosmetology.
Admission to San José City College (SJCC) is open to high school graduates, possess GED, certificate of proficiency, or the equivalent, or to those who are at least 18 years old.
The first step for all persons desiring to enroll in classes at SJCC is to complete an application for admission. Please visit the website for more information regarding admission.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Cosmetology Freshman Theory
- Cosmetology Senior Theory
- Cosmetology Freshman Laboratory
- Cosmetology Senior Laboratory
- Cosmetology Professional Skills
Please visit the college website for more information about tuition fees
- Cosmetology - Associate in Science
- Cosmetology - Certificate of Achievement Level 3
- Demonstrate a firm understanding and working knowledge of safety, sanitation and client protect rules and regulations.
- Be prepared to become a Board-Certified Licensed Cosmetologist in the State of California.
- Use developed analytical skills to make informed decisions about hair color formulations, design decisions, chemical texturizing, skin care, and nail care.
- Recognize hair and skin types to customize appropriate treatments to clients hair and skin type.
- Multi-task when working the front desk by maintaining the client appointment sheet, directing clients to their operator, and practicing professional phone etiquette.
- Select proper professional products, to support clients style, after leaving clinic.
- Read and comprehend manufacturers direction to successfully and accurately perform client hair, skin, and nail services.
- Communicate with clients through a client consultation to ensure a high level of client satisfaction.
- Practice high ethical standards in all contact with faculty, staff, clients, peers, and the general campus community.
- Demonstrate the ability to act with integrity and honesty to choose the most ethical course of action when working with faculty, staff, clients, peers, and the general campus community.
- Demonstrate the ability to relate and interact effectively in trams consisting of individuals with diverse backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, professions and interests.
- Be socially aware of the needs of the community in which they live and work by volunteering their time and professional skills.
Message the school
About this institute
San Jose City College
Founded in 1921 in the heart of Silicon Valley, California, San José City College (SJCC) has provided educational excellence and opportunities to students from around the world for 100 years! San José City College’s new state-of-the-art facilities combined with a...
Want to know more about Cosmetology - Certificate of Achievement? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!