About this program
Master’s Degree in Communications and Sports Journalism
The Master's Degree in Communication and Sports Journalism teaches how sports journalism works , analyzing the national and international developments in this area and trains professionals who will be leaders in the media industry.
Graduates of this program will be experts in raising sports to the status of social phenomena, through the use of any media currently in use in the field of communication, including content, multimedia, audiovisuals and digital media.
Real Madrid Graduate School - Universidad Europea contributes the experience of the most important sports club in the world and the rigor of Universidad Europea to design and offer a benchmark Master's Degree in the field of communication.
Thanks to agreements with sports companies and media, internships are available in the newsrooms of professional media for students before they enter the world of work.
Also, the Real Madrid facilities will be available throughout the program so that students can make full use of them.
The program offers a wide range of career opportunities such as press, radio, TV, digital media, press and communication cabinets, press agencies, preparation of contents for different media, production for different media and sports broadcasts.
Universidad Europea has fully equipped Media Studies facilities: newsroom with agency service, QuarkXPress, complete TV studios (set, production control room, virtual studio and editing booths with AVID and Final Cut systems, and other audiovisual equipment), and three complete radio studios with the latest technology in hard disk systems for broadcasting).
Students will visit ‘Real Madrid City’ and other club facilities during ‘White Week’ (Semana Blanca): a period of total immersion in the running of the best soccer club of the 20th century.
Student profile and study access information
The Master in Communication and Sports Journalism provides a specialization for Journalism, Social or Audiovisual Communication graduates. It is also an interesting option for students from economics, social studies, or sports studies backgrounds seeking to form associations with sports journalism and become leaders in the new working environments required by television, radio, digital environments, and sports newspapers.
This is an ideal opportunity for graduates seeking a solid specialization as part of a postgraduate qualification offering greatly enhanced employment prospects.
The admissions process for Real Madrid Graduate School - Universidad Europea programs runs throughout the whole year, although enrollment in all graduate programs depends on the availability of places.
Once candidates have received guidance and have provided the necessary documentation, the Graduate Degree Admissions staff will send them a date for taking the entrance exams for the program they are interested in, and for a personal interview with the Master’s Program Director or a member of the Admissions Committee.
The admissions process does not involve any costs or commitment for candidates, until their place is formally reserved.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- The Master in Communication and Sports Journalism is a truly international master with students coming from all four corners of the globe. The program enables students to develop all-round communication and journalism skills so they are best prepared to advance in the sports media world no matter what area they choose to go into.
- It teaches what sports journalism is about and how it works, by analyzing how the industry’s professional and social dimension has evolved nationally and internationally, including its legal and economic aspects.
- The Master program trains students in journalistic work covering areas such as:
- Print journalism.
- Television and sport.
- Sports radio.
- Digital journalism and social networks.
- Communication management in sports organizations.
- The program methodology consists of lectures and students creating their own radio and television programs and blogs, taking photographs, video editing, covering sports events, and making video reports.
- Students will be able to hold open discussions with sports personalities and prominent media professionals. Thanks to role-play exercises, students will be exposed to real-life experiences faced by professionals in sports reporting: press conferences, interviews, communication strategies in the event of a crisis, etc.
MODULE I. THE SPORTS JOURNALISM WORLD
- Social aspects associated with sport.
- New trends and current status of the sports market.
- Legal bases of sports.
- Economic bases of sports.
MODULE II. PRINT JOURNALISM
- News genres in sports journalism.
- Print and digital sports newspapers. Information on football and other sports.
- Sports writing in the general media.
- Regional editions. Specialist magazines. Multimedia environments.
- Agency sports journalism. Internet and combined editing.
- Photography in sports newspapers. Digital design and layout.
- Reporters and special correspondents. Coverage of major sports events.
- Columnist. Evolution and style of sports columns.
- Investigative and data journalism in sport.
- The transfer market in the world of football.
MODULE III. SPORTS RADIO
- History of sport on the radio in Spain.
- The sport of the radio today.
- The technological world of today’s radio. Digital content management system and mixer.
- Multi-connection programs. “Carrusel deportivo [Sports Carousel]”.
- Sports radio production.
- Daily sports programmes.
- Radio sports commentating.
- Radio sports interviews.
- Sports and their association with the radio.
- Sports radio and advertising.
- The voice as a communicative tool.
MODULE IV. TELEVISION AND SPORT
- Current television industry.
- Television audience indicators and workflows.
- Broadcasting rights and relaying of sports events.
- Use of digital camera and lighting equipment.
- Video editing and post-production on television. Editing in Avid.
- Production of sports television formats.
- Production of sports events.
- Creation and development of sports television programs.
- Preparation of television reports.
- Television presenting. Auto-cue and body language.
- Television sports commentating.
- Television sports information. Sports information models, debate, opinion, interviews, and correspondence.
MODULE V. DIGITAL JOURNALISM AND SOCIAL NETWORKS
- Online media world.
- Social networks and new trends.
- The world of sports blogs. Activities and case studies.
- Technological applications in sports journalism.
- Sports website structure.
- SEO positioning in sports journalism.
- Control tools in the use of social networks.
- Social network strategic analysis.
- Community manager sports media.
- Digital marketing on social networks.
- Personal branding and online reputation.
- Advertising strategy on digital media.
- Big Data and viewing data in the world of sport.
- Analytics, assessment, and metrics.
MODULE VI. MANAGEMENT IN SPORTS COMMUNICATION
- The organizational chart and task distribution in a sports club (publications and communication).
- Sports marketing.
- Communication and managerial skills (leadership, decision making, negotiation, and crisis management).
- Professions and sports professionals (writing for the radio, the web, press agencies, Ciudad Deportiva training complex and Real Madrid C.F. football and basketball press departments).
- Carrying out press conferences. Relations with sports personalities
- Sports protocol.
Scholarships & funding
We’re here to help. If you want to study at Universidad Europea, you have a number of internal and official scholarship options to apply for. In addition, we provide comprehensive Financing and Discount options.
FIND YOUR SCHOLARSHIP
- Flexible payments
- Grants for high performing students
- Grants for continuing students
- Grants for simultaneous studies
- First in family scholarships
- Universidad Europea scholarship
- Official scholarships
Master’s Degree in Communications and Sports Journalism
Students can expect employment opportunities in the sports communication and journalism world.
Message the school
About this institute
Real Madrid Graduate School - Universidad Europea
Dream of turning your passion into your career? Study at the only Postgraduate School specialized in sport. Train your dreams. At the Real Madrid Graduate School - Universidad Europea you’ll learn among leading sports professionals. Our graduate programs are based...
Want to know more about Master’s Degree in Communications and Sports Journalism? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Bangor, United States of America