About this program
Design For Public Space
The Specializing Master in Design for Public Space is a training program for public spaces designers in contemporary cities that comprehend theory, research, design and practical training. It is proposed to train professionals to be able to develop projects of scenarios, processes and forms of open spaces, symbolic places in which the community can recognize itself.
The Number of Admitted Students is 20
The Specializing Master is reserved for candidates who have a Degree in Interior Design, Architecture, Interior Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Scenography, Fine Arts. For foreign applicants, equivalent qualifications in their respective studies will be considered.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Phase 1_ Courses / Workshop _ Milan (9 Weeks)
Lectures and workshops will consider the issue of designing public spaces in contemporary cities. In particular, the following will be explored: processes, tools and aesthetics for the transformation of urban spaces in the short and medium term, for the enhancement of local urban identity and for connection with local communities. The workshops will address project themes such as: reuse, reversibility, event, entertainment, staging, equipment for new functions.
- Design for Contemporary Urban Interiors
- Equipment and furniture, materials and technologies
- Public space and social engagement: processes and action
- Events and temporary settings
Phase 2_ Courses / Workshop _Madrid (9 Weeks)
A period of study in a European city whose tradition in the design of public space has its roots in a design culture rooted in history but also in contemporary times. The courses will consider the taxonomy of a public space, investigating the various aspects related to planning and management through historical and contemporary case studies. The workshops will explore cases applied to the city of Madrid.
- Fundamentals of Public Space
- New Technologies and Public Space
- Semantics of Public Space: Branding and Narrative Design
- Management of Public Space: procedures and challenges
Phase 3_Joint Workshop (1 Week)
An intensive workshop at a European partner site, where one can experiences an approach to the project, adding a further experience in a different urban context.
Stage 4_Internship and Final Project (600 Hours)
Following the completion of courses and workshops, the internship brings students in direct contact with the professional world.
It will take place at companies and institutions in the public and private sectors for a duration of 600 hours.
The final thesis (FTP) project involves the reworking of what has been done during the internship or the proposal of an autonomous project and its return through theoretical and design in-depth studies.
The program allows students to qualify to work in the private and public sector, both as freelance consultants and as integrated in complex organizations such as:
- Architectural firms, engineering companies, urban infrastructure design companies
- Companies operating in the production of materials, furnishings, equipment for outdoor spaces
- Agencies operating in the development of strategies for communication and urban marketing
- Agencies operating in the sector of cultural enhancement or organization of events
- Companies operating in the redevelopment and enhancement of abandoned tertiary and commercial industrial areas
- Public administrations acting as managers of public works and urban furniture
- Associations and non-profit organizations that operate internationally in urban regeneration processes or in developing contexts.
Message the school
About this institute
POLI.design is based in Milan, a universally known and recognised international centre of excellence for design.
The permanent structures, cultural institutions, fairs and showrooms, publishing industry, schools, displays, exhibitions, and events that the city has to offer are numerous and contribute to creating a culturally lively and dynamic climate that can enrich professional and training courses,...
Why study at POLI.design
POLI.design is the post-graduate school in Design of the Politecnico di Milano that supports and completes the curricular paths of the School of Design, aiming at professional training and an effective insertion in the many areas of work in which the designer operates today.
It plays a hinge role between universities, businesses, organizations and institutions and professional worlds, operating in the perspective of internationalization and establishing partnerships with universities, schools, organizations, institutions, companies and companies from time to time.
Want to know more about Design for Public Space? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!