If you have NCEA Level 1 or equivalent this is a great way to start your ECE career. You will study three courses and volunteer or work in a licensed ECE service for 4 hours a week.
This qualification will ready you to work in the early childhood education profession as a:
- home-based carer/educators
- educator working in education and care centres in a permanent or relieving position working under supervision of fully qualified and certificated teachers
- coordinators of a certificated playgroup.
What you will learn
When you achieve this qualification you will be able to:
- contribute to an environment that provides for the health, safety and wellbeing of infants, toddlers and young children
- work in compliance with early childhood regulations and legislative requirements
- use your knowledge of children’s learning of development, and the bicultural nature of the New Zealand early childhood curriculum Te Whāriki, to develop your own culturally responsive practice for working with young children
- develop and maintain relationships with children, families, whānau and colleagues through the use of a range of communication strategies and social and cultural connectedness within an early childhood education and care setting
- demonstrate knowledge professional behaviours and strategies to manage personal health and wellbeing in an early childhood setting
- demonstrate knowledge of ethical responsibility in relation to own values and beliefs to guide practice in an early childhood setting
- know about community and government services that help in operation of an early childhood education and care setting
- use early childhood philosophies to inform your understanding of the diversity of early childhood education in Aotearoa New Zealand
- use basic te reo Māori and tikanga Māori within an early childhood setting
- develop your awareness of Māori as tangata whenua.
This qualification will also be useful for people seeking employment in community service organisations that work to enhance the lives of young children and their whānau, families and communities.
Graduates will be prepared to enter the early childhood education profession as home-based carers/educators, nannies, educators working in education and care centres in a permanent or relieving position working under supervision of fully qualified and certificated teachers; coordinators of certificated playgroups. For Māori speakers this qualification may provide entry into ngā kohanga reo. This qualification will also be useful for people seeking employment in community service organisations that work to enhance the lives of young children and their whānau, families and communities.
After you complete this qualification you will meet the entry requirements (subject to meeting to the selection criteria) to enter our Level 4 Certificate in Early Childhood practice.
Certificate in Early Childhood Practice
You need to be at least 17 years of age and have NCEA Level 1 or an equivalent qualification to gain admission into this programme.
- complete the New Zealand Police Vetting Service Request and Consent form downloaded from the Open Polytechnic website
- provide the name, email address and phone number of a person who knows you in a professional capacity and has agreed to provide a confidential report in support of your application. We can contact your referee by email or you can download a form on their behalf
IELTS test – a General or Academic score of 5, with no band score lower than 5.
Cambridge English Qualifications – B2 First or B2 First for Schools with a score of 154. No less than 154 in each skill.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
About this institute
Open Polytechnic is New Zealand's leading distance and online learning provider. Our focus is on student success for around 30,000 students each year....
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.