About this program
Bachelor of Arts in Worship and Music Studies
Graduates of this program will be competent to serve as the Minister of Music or Worship pastor in a local church, and to effectively develop and lead all aspects of a church music program.
The following information is specific to the traditional undergraduate programs of the University. Admissions to the College of Adult and Professional Studies, Oregon extension, Online Programs, or Graduate Programs are detailed in their respective section of this catalog or student handbooks.
International applicants must complete the same admissions process as other freshman or transfer students.
English Testing Requirement
Citizens of approved countries with English as an official language and/or the language of academic instruction are exempt from the TOEFL and IELTS. A current list of approved countries is maintained by the Center for English Language Education.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Core Curriculum Requirements
Bible and Theology
- The Christian Scriptures
- Work of God, Work of Humanity
- How to read the Bible
- Foundations of Christian Faith
Written and Verbal Communications
- Composition I: Expository Writing
- Composition II: Rhetoric and Research Writing
- Fundamentals of Speech Communication
- Any literature course 3 credits
- Any history course 3 credits
- 3 credits from: Art, Bible, Drama, English, History, Language, Music or Theology
- Minimum 2 courses from the following:
- Business Administration, Communication, Economics, Education, Geography, Health & Fitness, Information Technology, Management, Marketing, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology/Anthropology, or User Experience Design
Science and Mathematics
- College-level Mathematics
- Science course with Lab
Formation and Calling
- Life Calling
- Gospel and Culture
Two Core Curriculum elective credits are required to be Career Readiness credits. These credits can be earned by taking a combination of Career Readiness Courses and introductory internship and/or job shadowing experiences.
- This two-credit requirement is waived for students who transfer 60 or more credits to NU
- Students with 47-59 transfer credits are required to take one Career Readiness credit
Select any college-level courses
Worship and Music Studies Major:
- Introduction to Theory
- Written Theory I
- Ear Training & Sight-Singing I
- Written Theory II
- Ear Training & Sight-Singing II
- Music History and Literature II
- Basic Computer Notation
Select one of the following:
- Choral Conducting or
- Instrumental Conducting
Applied Music Requirements:
- Concert Choir
- Northwest Choralons
- Wind Ensemble
- Northwest Jazz Band
- Northwest Vocal Jazz
- Chamber Orchestra
- Chamber Choir
- Jazz Combo
Private Music Lessons:
- Private Music Lessons
- Biblical Lands Experience
- International Bible/Theology Tour
- Cross-Cultural Experience
Worship Ministry Requirements:
Biblical and Theological reflection:
- Biblical Interpretation
- Theology of Worship
- Ministry Foundation:
- Classics of Christian Devotion
- Ministry Life and Calling
- Current Issues in Worship Ministry
- Worship Leadership
- Music Ministry Internship
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Total Tuition fee : $33,500
Credits: 125 semester
Academic Award: Bachelor of Arts
Graduates with a degree in Worship and Music Studies will be able to:
- Evaluate musical genres based upon their stylistic characteristics.
- Create music utilizing an undergraduate proficiency level of music theory.
- Translate notes into sound, and sound into notes utilizing ear training.
- Integrate the study of music and the Christian faith.
- Design an effective plan to serve the musical needs of the church.
A degree from NU can help you launch your career immediately after graduation. Some of the fields that a degree in worship and music studies can open up for you include:
- Music minister in a church setting
- Graduate studies in the areas of sacred music or worship studies
Message the school
About this institute
Northwest University was founded on October 1, 1934. We are a Christian co-educational institution accredited at the highest institutional level nationally and regionally. We awards associate, baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees in over 70 programs. Northwest University is a Christian...
Why study at Northwest University
- Over 70 programs: NU gives students of all callings the opportunity to discover and cultivate their gifts, offering over 70 majors and programs to choose from.
- Small Class Size: At NU, the student-to-faculty ratio is 10:1, allowing for the kind of personalized education you may not find elsewhere.
- Location: NU’s campus is located nearby the corporate headquarters of companies like Microsoft, Expedia, Amazon, and Costco, as well as many innovative tech startup. This close proximity contributes to a robust job economy for NU graduates, as well as rich internship opportunities.
- Internships: Internships are the best way for students to gain real-world experience. That’s why over 70% of students hold internships at NU. Often, this leads to full-time job offers from some of the best companies in the area.
Want to know more about Bachelor of Arts in Worship and Music Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!