About this program
Bachelor of Arts in History and Politics
The history and politics major prepares students for effective participation in civic affairs and public life. Typical careers that flow from this major include careers in government, business, non-profits, law, and education. This major is also an excellent preparation for graduate school in history, law, political science, public policy, and other fields related to the public and private sectors.
The following information is specific to the traditional undergraduate programs of the University. Admissions to the College of Adult and Professional Studies, Oregon extension, Online Programs, or Graduate Programs are detailed in their respective section of this catalog or student handbooks.
International applicants must complete the same admissions process as other freshman or transfer students.
English Testing Requirement
Citizens of approved countries with English as an official language and/or the language of academic instruction are exempt from the TOEFL and IELTS. A current list of approved countries is maintained by the Center for English Language Education.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Core Curriculum Requirements
Bible and Theology
- The Christian Scriptures
- Work of God, Work of Humanity
- How to read the Bible
- Foundations of Christian Faith
Written and Verbal Communications
- Composition I: Expository Writing
- Composition II: Rhetoric and Research Writing
- Fundamentals of Speech Communication
- Any literature course 3 credits
- Any history course 3 credits
- 3 credits from: Art, Bible, Drama, English, History, Language, Music or Theology
- Minimum 2 courses from the following:
- Business Administration, Communication, Economics, Education, Geography, Health & Fitness, Information Technology, Management, Marketing, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology/Anthropology, or User Experience Design
Science and Mathematics
- College-level Mathematics
- Science course with Lab
Formation and Calling
- Life Calling
- Gospel and Culture
Two Core Curriculum elective credits are required to be Career Readiness credits. These credits can be earned by taking a combination of Career Readiness Courses and introductory internship and/or job shadowing experiences.
- This two-credit requirement is waived for students who transfer 60 or more credits to NU
- Students with 47-59 transfer credits are required to take one Career Readiness credit
Select any college-level courses
History and Politics:
Lower Division Requirements:
- Foundations of History
- Global History
- Introduction to Public History
- Political Theory
Select one Politics course from the following:
- Religion and Politics
- American Government
- Comparative Politics
Select two History courses from the following:
- History of World Civilization I: Prehistory to 1500 CE
- History of World Civilization II: The World from 1500 CE
- U.S. History I: to 1877
- U.S. History II: 1877 to the 1970’s
Upper Division Requirements:
- Senior Research Seminar I
- Senior Research Seminar II
- History Internship
- Cross-Cultural Experience
Upper Division Concentrations:
Select from one of the following concentrations:
- Upper Division Political Thought
- Upper Division Law, Culture, and Society
- Upper Division Global Studies
- Upper Division Electives
- GlobalEd in Washington, DC
- American Studies Internships
- Professional Mentorship (optional)
- Strategic Communication Track
- Case Studies in Strategic Communication
- Christian Public Engagement for Communicators: Contemporary Perspectives and Practices
Public Policy Track:
- The Politics of Public Policy
- Christian Polticial Engagement: Contemporary Practices and Perspectives
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Total Tuition fee : $33,500
Credits: 125 semester
Academic Award: Bachelor of Arts
Graduates with a degree in History and Politics will be able to:
- Create a research plan based on primary and secondary sources.
- Synthesize research in oral and written presentations.
- Analyze contemporary issues through historical reasoning.
- Illustrate the role of traditionally excluded people in society.
- Integrate the Christian faith into the study of history and politics.
A degree from NU can help you launch your career immediately after graduation. Some of the fields that a degree in Political Science can open up for you include:
- Military Service
- Government (local, state, and national)
- Nonprofits / NGOs
- Graduate Studies
Message the school
About this institute
Northwest University was founded on October 1, 1934. We are a Christian co-educational institution accredited at the highest institutional level nationally and regionally. We awards associate, baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees in over 70 programs. Northwest University is a Christian...
Why study at Northwest University
- Over 70 programs: NU gives students of all callings the opportunity to discover and cultivate their gifts, offering over 70 majors and programs to choose from.
- Small Class Size: At NU, the student-to-faculty ratio is 10:1, allowing for the kind of personalized education you may not find elsewhere.
- Location: NU’s campus is located nearby the corporate headquarters of companies like Microsoft, Expedia, Amazon, and Costco, as well as many innovative tech startup. This close proximity contributes to a robust job economy for NU graduates, as well as rich internship opportunities.
- Internships: Internships are the best way for students to gain real-world experience. That’s why over 70% of students hold internships at NU. Often, this leads to full-time job offers from some of the best companies in the area.
Average rating 5Based on 1 reviews.
Want to know more about Bachelor of Arts in History and Politics? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
You may also like...