M.S. in Teaching & InquiryNortheastern Illinois University
M.S. in Teaching & Inquiry
All available course dates
M.S. in Teaching & Inquiry
Design classroom curricula to meet student needs. Develop and expand your teaching skills and knowledge to enhance the learning experience of your students.
The M.S. in Teaching and Inquiry is for teachers interested in developing and expanding their craft, knowledge and skills in teaching. The program is open to K-8 teachers with a minimum of two years of teaching in their own classroom.
Each semester, students take one required core course and one elective. Students choose their electives from dozens of course options. With students choosing their five electives, the program allows each student to create a custom program that will most benefit their personal and professional goals. Students can take one general education elective in a subject they teach.
The program focuses on the core topics:
- Inquiry-based teaching
- Project-based teaching
- Authentic and integrated curriculum development
- Teaching 21st-century literacies
- Multicultural education
- Teacher action research
Choose electives in a specific area, such as literacy, early childhood education, or bilingual education endorsement
General admission requirements
- Submit a completed application.
- Submit a non-refundable application fee accompanying the application. The application fee can be in the form of a check, money order or bank draft payable to Northeastern Illinois University. If paid in cash at the Student Payment Services Office, the receipt should be attached with the application package.
- Possess an undergraduate degree from a regionally-accredited college or university or recognized international college or university.
- Provide current official transcripts. Transcripts and examination scores must be official and received in an envelope sealed by the sending institution or electronically via credential third-party transcript provider. Hand-carried transcripts will be considered official as long as they are delivered in the sealed envelope. Transcripts become the property of the University and cannot be released.
- Meet the requirements of the specific program to which they are applying.
International student requirements:
- Submit application for admission with a $30 application fee to the Admissions Office. We encourage students to apply online for faster processing.
- Submit current official copies of transcripts of schools attended within the United States. All transcripts from non U.S. colleges or universities must be evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) or World Education Services (WES) sent to the Admissions Office.
- Arrange to have official TOEFL or IELTS scores sent to the Admissions Office. You must pass the written version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 (masters admission requires 550) or you must pass the computerized version of the TOEFL test with a minimum score of 173 (master admission requires 213) or the internet based test with minimum score of 61 (masters admission requires 79). The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) may be submitted in lieu of TOEFL. An IELTS minimum score of 6 (masters admissions 6.5) is required.
- Masters applicants must also submit 2 letters of recommendation, statement of goals and objectives, and any additional documents required by the program.
- Your file will be reviewed for admission decision when the application, fee and all academic documents, such as transcripts and test scores are received. However, an I-20 will not be issued until the Requirements for I-20 Processing have been met.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Requirements for the MSTI
- Research Methodologies For Classroom Teachers
- Action Research Design Seminar
- Action Research Project
- Curriculum And Inquiry
- New Literacies For The 21st Century
- Cultural Diversity In Our Schools
- 5 Elective Courses
Tuition fees (per 12 credit hours):
- Graduate: $6,315.80
- Non-Resident Graduate: $11,509.40
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the website for more information.
The M.S. in Teaching and Inquiry prepares you for careers in areas such as:
- Teacher in grades K-8
- School and department leadership
- Bilingual education teacher
About this institute
Northeastern Illinois University
Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) is a public university that is more than 150 years old. It attracts students and faculty from over 100 countries. Its main 67-acre campus is a welcoming oasis located in a safe residential neighborhood on the...
Want to know more about M.S. in Teaching & Inquiry? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Spain
Brno, Czech Republic