M.A. in Geography & Environmental StudiesNortheastern Illinois University
M.A. in Geography & Environmental Studies
All available course dates
M.A. in Geography & Environmental Studies
Analyze environmental and spatial interrelationships. Develop proficiency within the broad scope of environmental policy, planning and management, or within the geographic realm of spatial analysis.
This program is designed for students with various academic backgrounds who are interested in a career that spans the human and natural environments—the social and physical sciences—and who desire the spatial analytical skills of geography. Among other things, students are expected to:
- Acquire knowledge about human-environmental relations in which the environment is considered as both space and milieu
- Acquire knowledge of rapidly changing landscapes, synthesizing diverse but interrelated information
- Acquire knowledge related to locational studies concerning geometrics of movement, size, shape and distance
- Acquire knowledge related to environmental resources including interpretation, planning, development, use and conservation
General admission requirements
- Submit a completed application.
- Submit a non-refundable application fee accompanying the application. The application fee can be in the form of a check, money order or bank draft payable to Northeastern Illinois University. If paid in cash at the Student Payment Services Office, the receipt should be attached with the application package.
- Possess an undergraduate degree from a regionally-accredited college or university or recognized international college or university.
- Provide current official transcripts. Transcripts and examination scores must be official and received in an envelope sealed by the sending institution or electronically via credential third-party transcript provider. Hand-carried transcripts will be considered official as long as they are delivered in the sealed envelope. Transcripts become the property of the University and cannot be released.
- Meet the requirements of the specific program to which they are applying.
International student requirements:
- Submit application for admission with a $30 application fee to the Admissions Office. We encourage students to apply online for faster processing.
- Submit current official copies of transcripts of schools attended within the United States. All transcripts from non U.S. colleges or universities must be evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) or World Education Services (WES) sent to the Admissions Office.
- Arrange to have official TOEFL or IELTS scores sent to the Admissions Office. You must pass the written version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 (masters admission requires 550) or you must pass the computerized version of the TOEFL test with a minimum score of 173 (master admission requires 213) or the internet based test with minimum score of 61 (masters admission requires 79). The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) may be submitted in lieu of TOEFL. An IELTS minimum score of 6 (masters admissions 6.5) is required.
- Masters applicants must also submit 2 letters of recommendation, statement of goals and objectives, and any additional documents required by the program.
- Your file will be reviewed for admission decision when the application, fee and all academic documents, such as transcripts and test scores are received. However, an I-20 will not be issued until the Requirements for I-20 Processing have been met.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Required Courses in Geography & Environmental Studies
- Scope And Philosophy Of Geography And Environmental Studies
- Advanced Research Methods
Select two of the following:
- Introduction To GIS
- Geographic Problems In Quantitative Measurements
- Qualitative Research Methods In Geography And Environmental Studies
One of the following:
- Research Seminar
- Approved Electives
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the website for more information.
The M.A. in Geography and Environmental Studies program is theoretical and practical. Students gain knowledge, conceptual skills and technical skills. The program provides a solid basis for a career, a career shift, career enhancement or preparation for post-graduate studies.
The M.A. in Geography and Environmental Studies prepares you for careers such as:
- Environmental educator and professional
- Regional planner
- Industrial development specialist
- Research analyst
About this institute
Northeastern Illinois University
Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) is a public university that is more than 150 years old. It attracts students and faculty from over 100 countries. Its main 67-acre campus is a welcoming oasis located in a safe residential neighborhood on the...
Want to know more about M.A. in Geography & Environmental Studies? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...