About this program
Admission to optometry schools is very competitive. Only one in three applicants is accepted. Your well-rounded liberal arts education and bachelor’s degree from North Central College can make the difference to gain admission to the school of your choice.
Optometrists must be good communicators to work with patients, and at North Central you’ll gain the writing and communication skills you’ll need to be prepared for graduate school and as a doctor of eye care. You’ll have opportunities to job shadow alumni who are doctors of optometry. You’ll personally get to know professors who will write letters of recommendation for you when you apply to graduate schools, and you’ll gain a solid understanding of biology, chemistry and other areas of study.
You can also:
- Conduct research on your own, with peers or a faculty member during North Central’s Summer Undergraduate Research Colloquium and present your findings at the Rall Symposium for Undergraduate Research or the National Conference on Undergraduate Research.
- Pursue research interests anywhere in the world by applying for a Richter Grant.
- Network with alumni and peers through North Central’s student-run Pre-Health Organization.
- Work with North Central’s dedicated pre-health advisor.
Applicants must demonstrate English proficiency in one of the following ways:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): North Central requires an official TOEFL score of at least 79 (Internet-based test) or 550 (paper-based test). (Our institution code: 1555)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): North Central also accepts official IELTS overall scores of 6.5 with sub-scores of 6.0 or higher.
- ACT or SAT: Students may also submit official SAT or ACT scores in place of the TOEFL.
- Most successful applicants choosing this option have earned at least a 500 on the EBRW section of the SAT or at least a 19 on the English section of the ACT.
- Our institution codes are: 1555 (SAT) and 1096 (ACT).
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information
Tution fee: $42,026 per year
Message the school
About this institute
North Central College
North Central College is a nationally ranked institution located in Naperville, Illinois, a thriving suburb just thirty minutes by train from Chicago. Our students have access to state-of-the art facilities and distinctive programs, particularly in the sciences and business. At...
Want to know more about Optometry (Pre)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!