About this program
English Language Learner
America has always been a melting pot, but demand is higher than ever for teachers who can instruct children raised in homes where English is not the primary language. North Central’s minor in English language learning (ELL) helps you meet this pressing need—and positions you well in a competitive job market.
You will also:
- Complete our intensive 100-hour field experience requirement.
- Acquire state endorsement in English as a second language (ESL).
- Acquire state endorsement in bilingual education with language proficiency and a bilingual methods course.
Applicants must demonstrate English proficiency in one of the following ways:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): North Central requires an official TOEFL score of at least 79 (Internet-based test) or 550 (paper-based test). (Our institution code: 1555)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): North Central also accepts official IELTS overall scores of 6.5 with sub-scores of 6.0 or higher.
- ACT or SAT: Students may also submit official SAT or ACT scores in place of the TOEFL.
- Most successful applicants choosing this option have earned at least a 500 on the EBRW section of the SAT or at least a 19 on the English section of the ACT.
- Our institution codes are: 1555 (SAT) and 1096 (ACT).
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
English Language Learner Minor
- Methods and Materials to Teach English Language Learners
- Practicum in Teaching English Language Learners
- Assessment of English Language Learners and Bilingual Students
- Foundations of Language Study
- Theoretical and Methodological Foundations for Teaching ELLs
- Cross-Cultural Studies for Teaching English Language Learners
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information
Tuition fee: $42,026 per year
Recent graduates in English language learning include:
- English as a second language certified teacher
- Bilingual education certified teacher
- Elementary education teacher
Message the school
About this institute
North Central College
North Central College is a nationally ranked institution located in Naperville, Illinois, a thriving suburb just thirty minutes by train from Chicago. Our students have access to state-of-the art facilities and distinctive programs, particularly in the sciences and business. At...
Want to know more about English Language Learner? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...