This course will provide you with an advanced understanding of the theoretical and applied issues in forensic psychology. Our scientist-practitioner approach equips you with the skills and knowledge needed to pursue a career in forensic psychology practice.
The MSc in Forensic Psychology offers comprehensive professional training in forensic psychology. You will gain an in-depth experience of offending and victim pathways, as well as the investigative process. Through the use of a structured framework, you will also study theory and conduct research relating to forensic psychology practice. The course has two different routes:
Forensic Psychology, MSc (Accredited):
This route is fully accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS), thereby accounting for Stage 1 of the Qualification in Forensic Psychology. Students enrolling on this route must have a first degree in psychology providing Graduate Basis for Chartership (GBC) with the BPS. We will attempt to provide you with a placement within local forensic units (ie HM Prison Service, NHS, Police, or the Forensic Interview Laboratory within the School of Psychology), however, this is not always guaranteed for all students.
Forensic Psychology, MSc (Non-accredited):
Northumbria Police are proud to support this course and to be working in collaboration with the School of Psychology at Newcastle University.
You will develop your understanding of forensic psychology in a multi-disciplinary and professional context. We promote collaborative teaching and research through our strong links with UK forensic psychology practitioners, including Her Majesty's Prison Service, the National Health Service (NHS) and Police.
You will gain demonstrable, advanced knowledge and critical understanding in:
•theories and professional issues of forensic psychology
•the breadth and depth of forensic psychology
•the role of psychology within the legal system (civil and criminal)
•the National Offender Management system
•legislation under which forensic psychologists work
•investigative psychology and forensic interviewing
•investigative process from pre-trial/conviction to through/after-care and restorative justice
•legal, ethical and contextual issues in the evaluation of research and practice
•debating and using evidence from appropriate literature
You will also gain professional skills in:
•writing parole board and analytical reports
•developing forensic case formulations
Your specialist skills and knowledge will be developed through a combination of:
Our staff are experts in the field of forensic psychology and offer a range of research specialisms, such as:
Dr Gavin Oxburgh, Forensic Psychologist (Degree Programme Director):
• investigative Interviewing and the use of empathy during suspect interviews
• the social and cognitive processes associated with achieving co-operation and the elicitation of memories from eye-witnesses and suspects of crime
• miscarriages of justice
• the interviewing of high-interest groups (HIGs), such as sex offenders and murderers.
Faye Horsley, Forensic Psychologist (Deputy Programme Director)
• formulation of offenders
• assessment and Treatment of offenders
• working with personality disordered offenders
• adult fire setting and arson.
Professor Gwyneth Doherty-Sneddon, (Head of School)
• the visuospatial processing links between visual social cues and visual non-social information (as in mental imaging)
• how children adapt to different communication media (eg face-to-face versus live video links)
• children's patterns of gaze as indicators of internal cognitive states like thinking and concentration
• gaze aversion as cognitive load management in people with neurodevelopmental disorders, including autism and Williams syndrome.
About this institute
Newcastle University is a world-class research and teaching university, ranked in the top 200 of the world’s best universities. We are proud to have been awarded Gold status by the UK government in the Teaching Excellence Framework in recognition of our provision of consistently outstanding teaching,...
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Melbourne (Australia), Australia