Master of Public AdministrationNational University
Master of Public Administration
All available course dates
Master of Public Administration
The public sector is rapidly evolving due to the growing need for public policy and research and an increased social interest in politics, foreign affairs, and public policy. The Master of Public Administration (MPA) at National University will prepare you for a high-level position in government management at the federal, state, and local level and nonprofit management. Throughout your study, you will learn how to apply traditional business skills (financial management, budgeting, research, etc.) to the unique challenges of public administration.
Upon successful completion of this master’s degree program, you will be able to utilize critical thinking and research methods, evaluate new public management, analyze political influences and governmental power division, evaluate government employees and public administration strategies and decision, and synthesize grant proposal resources and approaches.
- All entering undergraduate students without prior college level English and/or Math courses must take the ACCUPLACER mathematics and English evaluation as part of the admissions process. The results of the evaluation are printed immediately and a copy is provided to the student. Read more about Placement by Evaluation. The ACCUPLACER may be taken once at no charge. Subsequent examinations can be repeated after 14 days for a $5 fee. Applicants who have not earned an Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or who have completed fewer than 90 quarter (60 semester) units of transferable college credit must have graduated from high school, passed a high school level proficiency test or received a Certificate of Proficiency from a state Department of Education.
- Applicants who are considered first time students based on the criteria below must attend an orientation course through WES Training and Development prior to enrolling.
- Never attended a college or university
- Education experience is limited to:
- Competency based education
- College level courses completed during high school
- Advanced Placement (AP) credit
- Military service or training
- Prior learning credit (CLEP, Dantes, Excelsior, portfolio assessment, etc.)
- High school graduates transferring from regionally accredited colleges and universities are admitted as degree students if their cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Applicants with a GPA below 2.0 may be admitted on probationary admission if the Committee on the Application of Standards (Committee) judges that there is sufficient evidence of potential to complete college studies. Applicants below a 2.0 may submit a petition letter to their advisor for review by the Committee.
- Individual degree programs may have additional admission requirements.
- Complete an application for admission and enrollment agreement.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Foundations of Public Admin
- Seminar in Urban Affairs
- Public Personnel Policy
- Quantitative Methods
- Urban Planning & Redevelopment
- Finance Mgt & Grant Admin
- MPA Project
Specialization in Human Resource Management
- Legal, Ethical & Safety Issues
- Workforce Plan, Dev & Outsourcing
- Seminar in Training & Development
- Compensation & Benefits
Specialization in Organizational Leadership
- Developing Groups and Teams
- Leadership in the 21st Century
- Leading Change and Adaptation
- Conflict and Power Dynamics
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Please visit the university website for more information about tuition fees.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Utilize critical thinking and research methods relevant to public administration in a multi-cultural environment.
- Analyze the impact of political influences on the public sector decision-making process.
- Describe, analyze, and evaluate the various approaches to managing government employees.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of public administration strategies for dealing with the media, community, and local government agencies.
- Evaluate the impact of public administration decisions on urban planning and redevelopment.
- Synthesize resources and approaches for developing grant proposals for community programs and services.
Career Opportunities for Public Administration
- Administrative Officer
- City managers
- County administrators
- Department Heads
- Grant Administration
- Financial Management
- Government Community Relations
- Government Office Management
- Planning/Development Director
- Public Policy
- Urban Planning Management
Employers of Public Administration Graduates
- Local, state and federal government
- Urban Planners
- Chamber of Commerce
- Business and Industry
- Nonprofit Organizations
About this institute
Since 1971, National University (NU) has been dedicated to meeting the needs of our students by providing accessible, affordable, and achievable higher education opportunities. Since its founding, the NU community has grown to 25,000 students (400 international students from over...
Why study at National University
Our course structure is built to make earning your degree accesible and achievable, one month at a time.
50+ Degree Programs
Whether you're looking to move up in your career or make a change, our degrees are designed to help you make a direct impact in your field
Online and On-Campus
We know your life may not happen on a 9-5 schedule so we offer online classes as well as campus-based programs in San Diego California
Earn your degree from a reputable private nonprofit that's accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission
Want to know more about Master of Public Administration? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Cedar City, United States of America