BS in Public HealthNational University
BS in Public Health
All available course dates
BS in Public Health
Learn what it takes to protect and improve the health of individuals and communities by earning a Bachelor of Science in Public Health (BSPH). Students in this program will learn how to apply knowledge and skills relating to the interactions and inter-dependencies of health behavior, the physical and social environment, and public policy to affect health at local, state, national, and international levels.
The program is designed to prepare entry-level public health professionals to begin careers in a variety of health agencies: governmental health agencies, voluntary health agencies, community based/non-governmental agencies, medical care services, education agencies, and business and industry. Graduates of the program will be eligible to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES) exam through the National Commission on Health Education Credentialing Inc.
- All entering undergraduate students without prior college level English and/or Math courses must take the ACCUPLACER mathematics and English evaluation as part of the admissions process. The results of the evaluation are printed immediately and a copy is provided to the student. Read more about Placement by Evaluation. The ACCUPLACER may be taken once at no charge. Subsequent examinations can be repeated after 14 days for a $5 fee. Applicants who have not earned an Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or who have completed fewer than 90 quarter (60 semester) units of transferable college credit must have graduated from high school, passed a high school level proficiency test or received a Certificate of Proficiency from a state Department of Education.
- Applicants who are considered first time students based on the criteria below must attend an orientation course through WES Training and Development prior to enrolling.
- Never attended a college or university
- Education experience is limited to:
- Competency based education
- College level courses completed during high school
- Advanced Placement (AP) credit
- Military service or training
- Prior learning credit (CLEP, Dantes, Excelsior, portfolio assessment, etc.)
- High school graduates transferring from regionally accredited colleges and universities are admitted as degree students if their cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher. Applicants with a GPA below 2.0 may be admitted on probationary admission if the Committee on the Application of Standards (Committee) judges that there is sufficient evidence of potential to complete college studies. Applicants below a 2.0 may submit a petition letter to their advisor for review by the Committee.
- Individual degree programs may have additional admission requirements.
- Complete an application for admission and enrollment agreement.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Preparation for the Major
- Personal Health
- Introduction to Psychology
- Principles of Sociology
- Human Anatomy & Physiol I
- Human Anatomy & Physiol Lab I
- Human Anatomy & Physiol II
- Human Anatomy & Physiol Lab II
- Introductory Microbiology
- Introductory Microbiology Lab
- Health Informatics
- Intro to Biomedical Statistics
- Public Health Nutrition
- Drug Use and Abuse
- Human Sexuality
- Culture and Health
- Introduction to Epidemiology
- Chronic & Communicable Disease
- Health Behavior
Requirements for the Major
- The Ecology of Public Health
- HP Program Planning & Eval.
- Environmental Health
- Health Promotion Concepts
- Injury Prevention
- PH & Physical Activity
- Global Health Promotion
- HP Strategies & Tactics
- PH Communications & Advocacy
- Preparedness & Disaster Mgmt.
- Public Health Field Practicum.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
On Campus or Online
Study when and where it’s convenient for you with evening, weekend, and 100% online classes.
Please visit the university website for more information about tuition fees.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Explain the core principles of public health and their relationship to the health status of groups, communities, and populations at the local, state, national, and international levels.
- Describe behavioral and non-behavioral variables contributing to morbidity and mortality.
- Describe the contributions of health disparities to morbidity and mortality among specific groups, communities, and societies.
- Assess the need for health promotion programs in response to the characteristics of diverse communities of interest using primary and secondary data.
- Choose appropriate strategies and tactics to influence behavioral, environmental, and public policy change to address the health needs in a given community.
- Evaluate the progress and outcomes of prevention programs in meeting stated goals and objectives and established standards.
About this institute
Since 1971, National University (NU) has been dedicated to meeting the needs of our students by providing accessible, affordable, and achievable higher education opportunities. Since its founding, the NU community has grown to 25,000 students (400 international students from over...
Why study at National University
Our course structure is built to make earning your degree accesible and achievable, one month at a time.
50+ Degree Programs
Whether you're looking to move up in your career or make a change, our degrees are designed to help you make a direct impact in your field
Online and On-Campus
We know your life may not happen on a 9-5 schedule so we offer online classes as well as campus-based programs in San Diego California
Earn your degree from a reputable private nonprofit that's accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission
Want to know more about BS in Public Health? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Melbourne (Australia), Australia
Kent, United States of America
New York (State), United States of America
High Wycombe, England
Bangor, United States of America
Melbourne (Australia), Australia