Master of JournalismMonash University
Master of Journalism
All available course dates
Master of Journalism
This course is both an entry-level qualification for a professional journalism career and a mid-career course for working journalists seeking to extend their expertise and refresh the intellectual basis of their practice. It is designed to ensure graduates will make an excellent
1 year/1.5 years/2 years (full time), depending on prior qualifications.
contribution to their profession using a full range of media technologies. The course has a particular focus on public interest and investigative journalism.
The duration may vary depending on prior qualifications as 1 year/1.5 years/2 years (full time).
English entry requirements
- IELTS (Academic): 7.0 overall (no band lower than 6.5)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): score of 65 overall with no band lower than 58
- TOEFL Internet-based test: score of 94 overall with minimum scores: Writing: 24, Listening: 20, Reading: 19 and Speaking: 20
For more information about entry requirements please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The course is structured in three parts:
- Part A. Core master's study;
- Part B. Advanced expertise and
- Part C. Specialist studies.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that you will:
- critically analyze the history, role and function of journalism and the news media in local, national, regional and global contexts;
- exercise professional journalism ethics, in the pursuit of truth, accuracy and fairness, and in service of the democratic process and the public right to know as manifested by public interest journalism;
- analyze and critically evaluate journalism theory and its application in professional practice and scholarship;
- utilize independent research and reporting skills in a range of generic and digital media technologies and formats, for a diversity of people and cultures in a global society;
- enter, or continue, professional practice in the news media with the required expert knowledge and specialist skills to shape the profession during a time of great change.
Successful completion of this course may provide a pathway to a graduate research degree for students admitted at entry levels 1 and 2 completing a research thesis (24 points). Students admitted at entry level 3 will normally already have an honors degree, however, if you wish to complete a research thesis in journalism you should discuss the options with the course coordinator.
Monash - Our Educational Offering
About this institute
At Monash, the desire to make a difference informs everything we do. But we go beyond good intentions. We make an impact, both locally and internationally. We are a global university with a presence on four continents. And our plans...
Why study at Monash University
Double Degrees: A double degree allows you to study for two degrees at the same time. You will graduate with two different bachelor degrees, giving you more career flexibility and opportunities. Studying towards two degrees at the same time allows you to keep your options open, to develop expertise in different but complementary areas, or simply to pursue two areas of interest in-depth. Monash offers one an extensive range of double degrees, with more than 140 double-degrees combinations across all major study fields.
Monash Warwick Alliance: The future of education lies in global partnership. The Alliance harnesses the collective strengths of two universities from opposite sides of the globe, creating international opportunities for all. Now in its 7th year, the International Conference for Undergraduate Research (ICUR) has established itself as a unique student-led event connecting undergraduates from around the world in a 48-hour global academic conference.
GIG: The Global Immersion Guarantee (GIG) is a ground-breaking study opportunity including a funded overseas experience for all first year Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Global Studies and related double degree students.
Bachelor of International Business
The Bachelor of International Business is the perfect degree for those ready to launch their international career. With excellent industry engagement, guaranteed study abroad or industry placement, all while studying on Collins street in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD, you’ll be part of the international business community before you leave the classroom.
Law at Monash - Key selling points
We're more than a degree. More than prestigious. More than one of the best law schools in the world. It's not just what you study, but what you take when you leave us that has the most impact.
- 21st century digital moot court
- global legal hackathons
- clinical guarantee - Monash Law offers guaranteed professional work placements for all students who wish to incorporate a practical component credited towards their Monash Law degree.
- top legal educators
- Monash University & King's College - opportunity to graduate with a qualification from Monash University and King's College London
- Industry Seminars
Engineering: The Monash Engineering Co-operative Education Program (Co-op) is designed to equip students with up-to-date, relevant industry experience and prepare them to become engineers of the future. Co-op provides employers with access to exceptional students for paid internships from Australia’s number 1 Engineering Faculty*.
MADA: There’s nothing like the feeling of creating something amazing from scratch. At MADA, you’ve got the tools at your fingertips to make it happen.
MADA has over 30 creative courses to choose from, 10 double degrees, plus you can add subjects from right across Monash University.
Australia ranked #2 study abroad country
Australia has been ranked the #2 study abroad country in the world for 2020! With everything from the tranquility of the Gold Coast beaches to the adventure of the Australian Alps, take a trip “Down Under” and discover why Australia is a great choice for an exceptional study abroad experience.
Want to know more about Master of Journalism? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...