Master of BiotechnologyMonash University
Master of Biotechnology
All available course dates
Master of Biotechnology
The Master of Biotechnology integrates biotechnology and entrepreneurship through a range of multidisciplinary coursework, research and work-integrated units in modern areas of studies. In the first year (Part A) of the course, students will be taught theoretical knowledge and practical skills in contemporary biotechnology-related topics, and the processes involved in obtaining research funding and translating biomedical products from lab to life.
In the second year (Part B) of the course, students who achieved ≥ 70% average in their first-year studies will have the opportunity to undertake either a 6-month industry placement in a pharmaceutical, medical device, life science and/ or regulatory organization. Students will also have the option to undertake a research project, where they will work closely with experts in a specialized area of research to advance knowledge of human diseases, and explore therapeutic targets for the prevention and treatment of these conditions. In addition, Part B offers a range of coursework electives in interdisciplinary fields of pioneering developments in biotechnology research and enterprise.
The duration may vary depending on prior qualifications, this course can be completed in 1 or 2 years
English entry requirements
- IELTS (Academic): 6.5 (with individual band scores of Writing: 6.0, Listening: 6.5, Reading: 6.5 and Speaking: 6.0)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): score of 58 overall with minimum scores: Writing 50, Listening 58, Reading 58, Speaking 50
- TOEFL Internet-based test: score of 79 overall with minimum scores: Writing 21, Listening 20, Reading 19, Speaking 18
For more information about entry requirements please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
The course is structured in two parts:
- Part A: Core Biotechnology studies and
- Part B: Application studies.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that you will:
- demonstrate mastery in theoretical knowledge in major contemporary fields of biotechnology and its applications
- differentiate between the processes involved in the development, regulation, commercialization and marketing of biotechnological products
- identify the ethical issues relating to research and the research question in the field of biotechnology and where, appropriate, apply ethical principles to the conduct of research within this field
- initiate new or innovative research informed approaches to resolving practical challenges within the field of medical biotechnology
- demonstrate proficiency in laboratory based technologies and techniques fundamental to biotechnological research
- critically appraise and interpret the implications of data arising from these technologies and techniques
- plan, justify and implement research in the field of medical biotechnology
- apply effective and strategic problem-solving, organizational and teamwork skills to the field of biotechnology
- effectively implement and evaluate technological advancements in biotechnology within workplace settings
Successful completion of this course may provide a pathway to a graduate research degree for students admitted at entry level 1 completing the research pathway (48 credit points) in Part B. If you are admitted and entry level 2 you will normally already have an honors degree, however, students in this group who wish to complete a research pathway should discuss the options with the course coordinator.
Monash - Our Educational Offering
About this institute
At Monash, the desire to make a difference informs everything we do. But we go beyond good intentions. We make an impact, both locally and internationally. We are a global university with a presence on four continents. And our plans...
Why study at Monash University
Double Degrees: A double degree allows you to study for two degrees at the same time. You will graduate with two different bachelor degrees, giving you more career flexibility and opportunities. Studying towards two degrees at the same time allows you to keep your options open, to develop expertise in different but complementary areas, or simply to pursue two areas of interest in-depth. Monash offers one an extensive range of double degrees, with more than 140 double-degrees combinations across all major study fields.
Monash Warwick Alliance: The future of education lies in global partnership. The Alliance harnesses the collective strengths of two universities from opposite sides of the globe, creating international opportunities for all. Now in its 7th year, the International Conference for Undergraduate Research (ICUR) has established itself as a unique student-led event connecting undergraduates from around the world in a 48-hour global academic conference.
GIG: The Global Immersion Guarantee (GIG) is a ground-breaking study opportunity including a funded overseas experience for all first year Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Global Studies and related double degree students.
Bachelor of International Business
The Bachelor of International Business is the perfect degree for those ready to launch their international career. With excellent industry engagement, guaranteed study abroad or industry placement, all while studying on Collins street in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD, you’ll be part of the international business community before you leave the classroom.
Law at Monash - Key selling points
We're more than a degree. More than prestigious. More than one of the best law schools in the world. It's not just what you study, but what you take when you leave us that has the most impact.
- 21st century digital moot court
- global legal hackathons
- clinical guarantee - Monash Law offers guaranteed professional work placements for all students who wish to incorporate a practical component credited towards their Monash Law degree.
- top legal educators
- Monash University & King's College - opportunity to graduate with a qualification from Monash University and King's College London
- Industry Seminars
Engineering: The Monash Engineering Co-operative Education Program (Co-op) is designed to equip students with up-to-date, relevant industry experience and prepare them to become engineers of the future. Co-op provides employers with access to exceptional students for paid internships from Australia’s number 1 Engineering Faculty*.
MADA: There’s nothing like the feeling of creating something amazing from scratch. At MADA, you’ve got the tools at your fingertips to make it happen.
MADA has over 30 creative courses to choose from, 10 double degrees, plus you can add subjects from right across Monash University.
Australia ranked #2 study abroad country
Australia has been ranked the #2 study abroad country in the world for 2020! With everything from the tranquility of the Gold Coast beaches to the adventure of the Australian Alps, take a trip “Down Under” and discover why Australia is a great choice for an exceptional study abroad experience.
Want to know more about Master of Biotechnology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...