Nutrition and Food Science B.S.Middle Tennessee State University
Nutrition and Food Science B.S.
All available course dates
About this program
Nutrition and Food Science B.S.
Everyone must eat, but does everyone know the most cost-effective, tasty and healthy way to do so? The Nutrition and Food Science major in MTSU's Department of Human Sciences is designed to train students to apply the science of human nutrition and the art and skills of food preparation to improve health of their clients. The major offers three options:
- Dietetics: This option is an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics, the first step required to become a registered dietitian. MTSU’s program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND).
- Food Industry: This option prepares students to work for food processors, government agencies, non-government organizations, or pursue graduate studies in food science.
- Nutrition and Wellness: With the increased awareness of the role that nutrition has on wellness this option prepares students to work with people of all ages, cultures, and economic means, in individual and group settings, to select foods that will promote healthy body weights and adequate nutrition throughout their life cycles.
Official scores: ACT 22 or SAT 1020
English language proficiency
- TOEFL iBT: 61
- TOEFL paper-based: 500
- IELTS 5.5
- ITEP 3.6
- Also accepted:
- ELS Level 110 (completed)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Grade 1: $60,000 - full ride
- Grade 2: $45,000
- Grade 3: $26,000
- Grade 4 : $10,000
*All scholarships are based on a 3.0 GPA
- Division: NCAA Division I-A (all sports) (8M/9W)
- Conference: Conference USA
- Nickname: Blue Raiders
- Mascot: Lightning
- Colours: Royal Blue (PMS 300) and White
The Athletic Program promotes excellence in athletics and provides academic and athletic opportunities for every student-athlete, the university, and the community. Building on tradition, the program advances the university's regional and national stature and creates opportunities for innovative partnerships throughout the region. Middle Tennessee State University continually works to maximise human, financial and physical resources to create and heighten the quality of its sports programs.
- Chris Massaro
- Director of Athletic Recruitment
Helping more student-athletes find the right college
With Keystone Sports, we connect international student-athletes with US colleges
- Career Orientation in Dietetics
- Principles of Nutrition
- Nutrition for the Health Sciences
- Nutrition Principles for Physical Activity and Health
- Cultural Food Studies
- Food Science
- Food Science Lab
- Meal Management
- Community Nutrition
- Sports Nutrition
- Nutrition for the Nursing Profession
- Food Safety and Sanitation
- Professional Issues in Dietetics
- Senior Seminar in Dietetics
- Field Experience in Foods and Nutrition
- Food Service Management for Culinary Arts
- Nutrition in Aging
- Experimental Food Study
- Experimental Food Study Lab
- Life Cycle Nutrition
- Nutrition for the Young Child
- Food Safety Issues from Production to Consumption
- Advanced Nutrition I
- Advanced Nutrition II
- Successful Approaches in Dietetics Research
- Medical Nutrition Therapy I
- Nutrition Coaching and Counseling Skills
- Medical Nutrition Therapy II
- Food Systems Management
- Dietetics Management
- Nutrition Education
- Nutrition and Weight Management
- Food Laws and Regulations
- Fundamentals of Culinary Arts
- The Food Industry
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
- Tuition: $27,742 US
- Room and Board: $8,976 US
- Total Fees: $36,718 US
Please contact the school for more information about tuition fees.
The major in Nutrition and Food Science offers preparation for careers in community nutrition services; county, state, and federal health departments; food processing; food marketing; and quality control. Examples include
- Catering manager
- Food researcher
- Food-service manager (schools, hospitals, residential care facilities, prisons, etc.)
- Production manager
- Public nutrition educator
- Purchasing manager
- Quality assurance specialist
- Restaurant manager and/or owner
- Sales representative
The Dietetics concentration can lead to careers as registered dietitians/nutritionists in hospitals and other health care facilities or in private practice. They may work in community and public health settings, academia and research. A growing number of RDs work in the food and nutrition industry, in business, journalism, sports nutrition, and corporate wellness programs
Message the school
About this institute
Middle Tennessee State University
Middle Tennessee State University is a public university in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Founded in 1911, the university consists of eight undergraduate colleges as well as a college of graduate studies, together offering more than 80 majors/degree programs through more than 35...
Why study at Middle Tennessee State University
MTSU is recognized for broad, high-quality academic programs, affordable costs and competitive prices, an outstanding teaching faculty, modern infrastructure with new residence halls, academic classrooms, sports facilities, and state of the art facilities, and a welcoming, friendly campus where diversity is appreciated and all students will be valued and respected.
Want to know more about Nutrition and Food Science B.S.? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...