Graduate Certificate / Diploma / M Ed in Middle Leadership and Mentoring in Primary and Post-Primary SettingsMary Immaculate College
About this program
Graduate Certificate / Diploma / M Ed in Middle Leadership and Mentoring in Primary and Post-Primary Settings
The innovative Graduate Certificate in Middle Leadership and Mentoring in Primary and Post-Primary Settings is a one-year, part-time blended program providing an academic qualification for teachers in professional studies and will be offered by and located at MIC’s Thurles campus. Year 2 offers opportunities to progress to a Diploma qualification and subsequently to that of Master's level. Endorsed by the Centre for School Leadership and designed to suit teachers’ professional lives, the program will act as both a challenge and a support to those interested in middle leadership in our schools.
The minimum entry requirements for eligibility are as follows:
- For entry into the Certificate in Middle Leadership and Mentoring in Primary and Post-Primary Settings, applicants will normally hold a minimum 2.2 Honours degree (at level 8) in education (primary or post-primary). Applicants who have a 2.2 Honours degree in other disciplines may be considered if they have substantial and relevant professional experience. Acceptance under this category will be subject to an interview and considered in light of the UL Policy on Accredited Prior Learning.
- Entry into the Graduate Diploma in Middle Leadership and Mentoring in Primary and Post-Primary Settings, is contingent on achieving a 2.2 in the Certificate in Middle Leadership and Mentoring in Primary and Post-Primary Settings. Further information regarding the Graduate Diploma of the programs can be obtained by emailing the program Coordinators.
- Entry into the Masters of Education in in Middle Leadership and Mentoring in Primary and Post-Primary Settings is contingent on achieving a 2.2 in the Graduate Diploma in Middle Leadership and Mentoring in Primary and Post-Primary Settings. Further information regarding the Masters component of the progammes can be obtained by emailing the program Coordinators.
- There is an option to undertake both Graduate Diploma and Masters Modules in one year. Students who choose this route, on successful completion of the program, graduate with a M.Ed. in Middle Leadership and Mentoring in Primary and Post-primary settings. This route is contingent on successfully completing the Graduate Certification in M.Ed. in Middle Leadership and Mentoring in Primary and Post-primary settings at 2.2. or higher.
English Language Requirements
Applicants for whom English is not a first language must provide evidence of their proficiency level English in the form of an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) composite score of 6.5 – 7.0 with no less than 6.0 in any one component, or IELTS equivalent accepted by UL. Such applicants will also be required to undergo an interview through English.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Graduate Certificate in Middle Leadership and Mentoring (Year 1)
- Policy: Leadership in the context of schools as organisations
- Leadership styles and perspectives on leadership
- Understanding Teachers' Professional Learning and Development
- Mentoring 1: Classroom mentoring and the teacher-mentor
- Applied Research 1: Collaborative research in the classroom
Masters of Education / Graduate Diploma (Middle Leadership and Mentoring) (Year 2)
- Curricular and Instructional Leadership
- Mentoring 2: Developing a collaborative school culture
- Middle Leadership: Learning from non-educational settings
- Change Agent, Change Wisdom and School Improvement
- Applied Research 2: Curricular and Instructional contexts
Masters of Education (Middle Leadership and Mentoring) (Year 2 / 3)
- Principles and Practice of Research in Education
- Research Workshops
- Research Workshops
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the website for more information.
A fully-online version of this program will be available for international applicants from September 2021.
Please contact the school for information about tuition fees.
Students who meet certain minimum achievement criteria in the Graduate Certificate will be invited to progress to Graduate Diploma and then, to Master’s degree level. Entry into the Graduate Diploma is contingent on achieving a 2.2 in the Certificate program and entry into the Master's of Education is contingent on achieving a 2.2 in the Graduate Diploma element of the program.
The program should be of particular interest to all aspiring and existing middle leaders, respecting and availing of the diversity of sector, setting and language of instruction. It is supportive of teachers who may wish to have a greater leadership role without leaving the classroom, as well as those aspiring to deputy principal or principal roles. Senior personnel in schools and from other education-related organisations with an interest in maximising middle leadership roles in their settings will also find the program of interest.
The Graduate Certificate is also intended to support teachers who want to further develop themselves and their professional practice as teachers, while also developing as mentors to other teachers, be they beginning teachers or existing colleagues.
Message the school
About this institute
Mary Immaculate College
Mary Immaculate College (MIC), founded in 1898, is Ireland’s leading university-level College of Education and Humanities. The College has a growing and diverse community of almost 5,000 students, who are enrolled in undergraduate programs in Education, Liberal Arts, Contemporary and...
Mary Immaculate College
Want to know more about Graduate Certificate / Diploma / M Ed in Middle Leadership and Mentoring in Primary and Post-Primary Settings? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!