MSc Sport and Exercise Medicine
Designed for qualified doctors, physiotherapists and osteopaths with clinical experience, you’ll study the prevention, diagnosis and management of sport and exercise related medical conditions and injuries.
You’ll choose specialist units that fit with your interests and career aspirations and have the opportunity to gain additional professional accreditation, qualification or membership with external professional bodies. This includes Fellowship of the Academy of Medical Educators (AoME).
The majority of this course is delivered at The Manchester Institute of Health and Performance (MIHP). You’ll have the opportunity to use world-class facilities, such as the environmental chamber, 3D performance capture hall, and the laboratory spaces for specialist exercise testing. You’ll perform practical sessions such as biomechanics and aerobic capacity tests.
You’ll learn theory in seminars, exploring cases and developing the specialist knowledge needed to support your career path into sport and exercise medicine. Topics you might consider include injury diagnosis, nutrition for sports, sports psychology and physiotherapy to help athletes get back into competitions, and performance enhancement.
To ensure our curriculum is relevant, our course theme lead is Prof John Rogers. We also have guest lectures from industry professionals who are experts in their field of practice. Past guest lecturers on this course include Adrian Gardner (Head of Performance at Warrington Wolves Rugby League), Chris Rosimus (Head of Nutrition at The Football Association), John Hartley (First Team Physiotherapist at Aston Villa Football Club) and Aaron Green (Head Strength and Conditioning Coach with English Touch Association.)
No prescribed duration for part-time students provided they are enrolled on a minimum of one unit each year.
The course is aimed at qualified doctors, physiotherapists and osteopaths.
Applicants should hold:
- An MBChB (MBBS) or equivalent. or
- A degree in physiotherapy (normally 2.2 or above)/a graduate diploma in physiotherapy together with evidence of an approved and relevant post qualification education. or
- A degree in Osteopathy (M Ost (Hons), normally 2.2 or above). and
- Two years’ clinical experience.
All students applying for the program will usually be required to have two years’ clinical experience, but the final decision on an applicant’s suitability will be made at interview.
Applicants will be interviewed or have their application carefully scrutinised in order to establish the relevance of the course to their learning needs, the necessary commitment to learning and where appropriate, support from their manager / employer. Interviews may be conducted in person or by Skype or telephone.
Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
For more information about entry requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Manchester Met is offering scholarships of up to £2,500 for high achieving applicants. This scholarship is open to international students who enrol on a full-time postgraduate Masters program and meet the eligibility criteria. The scholarship will be awarded automatically upon enrolment, no application is required.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fee for UK, EU and Channel Island students: £2,400 to £7,200 per year
- Tuition fee for Non-EU International students: £5,334 to £16,000 per year
- Tuition fee for UK, EU and Channel Island students: £800 per 20 credits studied per year.
- Tuition fee for Non-EU International students: £1,778 per 20 credits studied per year
A Masters qualification typically comprises 180 credits.
- Professional development - You’ll have the opportunity to gain professional accreditation, qualification or membership with external professional bodies.
- Award options - You can exit this course with a Postgraduate Certificate (PgCert), Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) or Masters Degree (MSc) in Sport and Exercise Medicine.
On this course, you’ll develop the knowledge to deliver specialist advice and skills to manage elite athletes and sportspeople of all abilities recovering from illness, injury or managing long-term conditions.
About this institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Metropolitan University is home to a diverse international student population from more than 130 countries. The University is ranked amongst the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old†, which is a measure of its commitment to delivering and...
Why study at Manchester Metropolitan University
- Ranked in the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old. (** Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2020)
- Lifelong access to our digital careers service for all alumni of the University.
- £400M+ future investment planned to develop our facilities, buildings and public spaces.
- Holder of the distinguished Queen’s Anniversary Prize 2019 for our multilingual poetry project, Mother Tongue Other Tongue.
- 1,700 academic teaching staff and Professors.
- Our teaching quality has been recognised with a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), introduced by the Government in 2017.
- History and heritage: Our roots in higher education date back to 1824.
- Partnerships from across the sporting world including Manchester City Football Club.
- One of the UK's greenest universities / Ranked 2nd in the People & Planet University League 2019.
- Founding member of the Institute of Coding.
Want to know more about Manchester Metropolitan University? Fill out the form and include any questions you have. This information will be sent directly to the school, and a representative will respond to your enquiry.
By completing this form you agree to the Manchester Metropolitan University adding your personal data to our prospective students and enquirers database, and to be contacted by the University for promotional purposes with information on our services, benefits and opportunities. We rely upon the legitimate interests lawful basis in order to hold and use your personal data for these purposes.
You can unsubscribe by using links at the bottom of our communications or by contacting email@example.com. For further information about our use of your personal data and your data subject rights, please see our Enquirers and Prospective Student Privacy Notice: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/data-protection/privacy-notices/enquirers-prospective-students/
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Fresno, United States of America
Campbellsville, United States of America