About this program
MSc Speech and Language Therapy (Pre-Registration)
Our MSc Speech and Language Therapy (Pre-Registration) course is an accelerated, two-year postgraduate course aimed at graduates who wish to prepare to practise as a registered speech and language therapist. Our course content reflects the values of the NHS constitution and combines theory and practical sessions over 45 weeks per year.
On the course, you’ll study topics including early language delay, traumatic brain injury, and difficulties swallowing (dysphagia). You’ll also explore areas such as autism and fluency, phonological delay and disorder, and neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s disease. We aim to prepare you to work across a variety of settings with both children and adults.
To fund your postgraduate pre-registration MSc Speech and Language Therapy course, you'll be able to access standard student loans in line with undergraduate funding for pre-registration courses.
Applicants must have a minimum 2:1 UK undergraduate honours degree (or international equivalent) and either have studied successfully to A-level standard or above in the last 5 years or obtained recent and significant relevant work experience (for example, working as a speech and language therapy assistant).
The 'personal statement' section of the application form is for you to provide additional information to support your application. Personal statement guidance can be found via the link in the 'How to apply for this course' section. Your personal statement is limited to 700 words.
From the personal statement, we are looking for information in the areas listed below. If any of these areas are not addressed in the personal statement, this may significantly disadvantage your application. You’re therefore strongly advised to include information from all the areas.
The threshold score above which students are shortlisted for an interview may vary from year to year.
Reasons for choosing speech and language therapy
Work experience Personal attributes, skills and values Additional requirements:
A satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate as a criminal record check is required for all students. This will be completed through the University prior to enrolment.
Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 7.5 with no less than 7.0 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification. Accepted English qualifications can be viewed here.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Clinical Theory 1 (Development Speech, Language and Communication Disorders)
- Clinical Theory 2 (Development Speech, Language and Communication Swallowing Disorders)
- Linguistics and Language Acquistion
- Phonetics and Phonolgy
- Appplied Psycholgy
- Professional competency in speech and Language Therapy
- Research Methods and Dissertation
- Clinical Theory 3(LifeLong and complex speech, Language, communication and swallowing Disabilities)
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
UK and Channel Island Students
- Full-time fee: £9,250 per year.
EU and Non-EU International Students
- Full-time fee: £19,500 per year.
- Endorsement:Health and Care Professions Council
- Accreditation:Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists
When you graduate, you’ll have the skills to work in clinical practice as a speech and language therapist with children and adults.
You can apply to the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) for registration to practise as a speech and language therapist. You can also apply for membership of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT), the professional body for speech and language therapy in the UK.
Message the school
About this institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Met is located in the centre of Manchester, an exciting and vibrant city, full of museums, galleries, theatres and music venues. It has a proud history dating back to 1824 and has a diverse international population from over 100...
Why study at Manchester Metropolitan University
- Ranked 67th University in the UK. (Complete University Guide 2023)
- Lifelong access to our digital careers service for all alumni of the University.
- £400M+ future investment planned to develop our facilities, buildings and public spaces.
- 1,700 academic teaching staff and Professors.
- 2,700 international students from over 100 countries
- History and heritage: Our roots in higher education date back to 1824.
- Proud to be the UK's number 1 sustainable university. (People & Planet University League 2021/22)
- Free English language support during your studies.Industry links with global companies, including IBM, Bentley Motors, Bosch, Nike, Walt Disney, L’Oreal, and Lloyds Banking Group
- 90% of our research impact is world-leading or internationally excellent. (REF 2021)
Want to know more about Manchester Metropolitan University? Fill out the form and include any questions you have. This information will be sent directly to the school, and a representative will respond to your enquiry.
By completing this form you agree to the Manchester Metropolitan University adding your personal data to our prospective students and enquirers database, and to be contacted by the University for promotional purposes with information on our services, benefits and opportunities. We rely upon the legitimate interests lawful basis in order to hold and use your personal data for these purposes.
You can unsubscribe by using links at the bottom of our communications or by contacting email@example.com. For further information about our use of your personal data and your data subject rights, please see our Enquirers and Prospective Student Privacy Notice: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/data-protection/privacy-notices/enquirers-prospective-students/
Be the first to write a review!