MSc Physiotherapy (Pre-registration)
Our accelerated, two-year pre-registration course is approved and validated by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) and aims to prepare you for work as a physiotherapist in modern practice.
Running over two years (45 weeks per year), our full-time, accelerated course supports students who have an undergraduate degree in a related subject to practise as a physiotherapist.
To fund your postgraduate pre-registration Physiotherapy degree, you'll be able to access standard student loans in line with undergraduate funding for pre-registration courses.
Our taught masters degree helps you to integrate physiotherapy theory with practice and to develop your skills in critical thinking.
Some of the topics you'll study include the structure and function of the nervous system, cardiorespiratory system and musculoskeletal system. You’ll consider issues such as health inequalities, the legal and policy frameworks governing physiotherapy practice in the UK, and integrated care.
You’ll also have practical sessions where you’ll learn physiotherapy techniques such as assessment skills, manual therapy and exercise prescription. These typically take place in our specialist physiotherapy teaching rooms.
You need to achieve a minimum of 1000 clinical hours in order to gain registration as a physiotherapist. On our course, you’ll complete four, six week placements and one, five week placement. These are normally organised by the Practice Placement team and take place in a wide variety of clinical areas including the NHS and private practice, where you will be supported and work alongside experienced clinical educators who will facilitate and support your learning. The final elective placement can be in an area of your choice either in the UK or abroad.
Many of our teaching team are actively involved within research and clinical practice alongside their teaching commitments. Current research projects include musculoskeletal screening in Touch (Rugby), modifiable factors in late Recurrence of club foot and the management of low back pain in the Emergency Department.
You'll need to hold a UK undergraduate honours degree at 2.1 or above, or equivalent international qualification, in a relevant subject.
Relevant subject areas include: biological sciences, sports science, sports therapy or rehabilitation, chemistry, nursing and psychology.
- Evidence of interest and work experience in the relevant field.
- Evidence of studying at Level 6/7 or equivalent within the last three years.
- Satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) criminal records check upon registration to the course.
The 'Personal Statement' section of the application form is for you to provide additional information to support your application. Personal Statement guidance can be found via the link in the 'How to apply for this course' section. Your Personal Statement is limited to 700 words.
Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 7.0 with no less than 6.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
For more information about entry requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Manchester Met is offering scholarships of up to £2,500 for high achieving applicants. This scholarship is open to international students who enrol on a full-time postgraduate Masters program and meet the eligibility criteria. The scholarship will be awarded automatically upon enrolment, no application is required.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fee for UK and EU students: £9,250 per year.
- Tuition fee for Non-EU International and Channel Island students: £18,500 per year.
A Masters qualification typically comprises 180 credits.
- Accelerated course - two-year course developed for postgraduate students to gain registration as a physiotherapist.
- Practice experience - you'll complete clinical placements in both years of this course, gaining experience across private and NHS practice environments in the UK.
You could also choose to continue with further study to specialise in a particular discipline of physiotherapy such as musculoskeletal, neurological, women’s health or mental health.
As a qualified physiotherapist, you could work in a range of settings, from sports clubs, community care settings or hospitals.
Many of our graduates begin their physiotherapy career within the NHS as a Band 5 Physiotherapist.
About this institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Metropolitan University is home to a diverse international student population from more than 130 countries. The University is ranked amongst the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old†, which is a measure of its commitment to delivering and...
Why study at Manchester Metropolitan University
- Ranked in the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old. (** Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2020)
- Lifelong access to our digital careers service for all alumni of the University.
- £400M+ future investment planned to develop our facilities, buildings and public spaces.
- Holder of the distinguished Queen’s Anniversary Prize 2019 for our multilingual poetry project, Mother Tongue Other Tongue.
- 1,700 academic teaching staff and Professors.
- Our teaching quality has been recognised with a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), introduced by the Government in 2017.
- History and heritage: Our roots in higher education date back to 1824.
- Partnerships from across the sporting world including Manchester City Football Club.
- One of the UK's greenest universities / Ranked 2nd in the People & Planet University League 2019.
- Founding member of the Institute of Coding.
Want to know more about Manchester Metropolitan University? Fill out the form and include any questions you have. This information will be sent directly to the school, and a representative will respond to your enquiry.
By completing this form you agree to the Manchester Metropolitan University adding your personal data to our prospective students and enquirers database, and to be contacted by the University for promotional purposes with information on our services, benefits and opportunities. We rely upon the legitimate interests lawful basis in order to hold and use your personal data for these purposes.
You can unsubscribe by using links at the bottom of our communications or by contacting email@example.com. For further information about our use of your personal data and your data subject rights, please see our Enquirers and Prospective Student Privacy Notice: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/data-protection/privacy-notices/enquirers-prospective-students/
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...