MSc Advanced Physiotherapy
Designed for registered and qualified physiotherapists, this course gives you the opportunity to develop your knowledge and professional practice across a range of practical and theory-based units.
You will complete core units of study and choose optional units that are intended to complement different areas of physiotherapy practice, such as Musculoskeletal, Neurology or a First Contact Practitioner role.
Practical sessions are an important part of this course and, depending on the units you choose, you will learn techniques such as soft tissue manipulation and manual therapy techniques.
Most study will take place on-campus. However, for example, when studying the sports units, you may study at the Manchester Institute of Health and Performance (MIHP).
Our lecturers are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and many still work in practice alongside teaching. Our teaching team also includes researchers with expertise across a range of specialisms, including knee and spinal dysfunctions, shoulder management, musculoskeletal and physical activity interventions, older people rehabilitation, stroke and Guillain-Barré syndrome
Our course is accredited by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP).
If you are not ready to commit to a full-time master’s Degree, you can study individual units as standalone modules, as part of your continuing professional development (CPD).
You can also exit this course with a postgraduate certificate (PgCert) or postgraduate diploma (PgDip).
- Full-time: 15 months
- Part-time: 3-5 years, flexible
Applicants must hold a minimum 2:2 UK undergraduate honours physiotherapy degree (or international equivalent) and have clinical experience. Students with graduate diplomas in physiotherapy with evidence of recent practice can also apply.
Overseas applicants will require IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
Applicants for Musculoskeletal Medicine Injection Therapy are required to have:
A minimum of four years’ clinical experience is normally required, of which 12 months should have been with musculoskeletal patients.
Access to musculoskeletal patients while attending the course.
Successfully completed postgraduate training in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal lesions in musculoskeletal medicine in the upper and lower limb.
Clinical supervision is in place with an appropriately qualified practitioner (Doctor or Physiotherapist qualified and experienced in injection therapy) for the inter-unit course work/supervision of injections.
Applicants for Advanced Musculoskeletal Practice are required to have:
An entry requirement of four years’ clinical experience is normally required, of which 12 months should have been with musculoskeletal patients.
Access to musculoskeletal patients whilst attending the course.
Applicants for the Manual Therapy Clinical Pathway are required to have:
- A BSc Physiotherapy degree at 2:2 degree classification or equivalent (there is further information for international students on our international website if you’re applying with non-UK qualifications).
- A minimum of two years' clinical experience, of which 6 months should have been with neuro-musculoskeletal out-patients.
- Health Council PC registration.
- IELTS of 7 (with no element below 6.5) for students whose first language is not English.
- Students residing outside the UK will need to provide a current criminal record report equivalent to the UK Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
- Two character references. One reference must be from a clinical manager or someone who can report on the applicant’s physiotherapy working knowledge and performance. Both references must be provided on headed paper or have an organisation stamp.
Specific Clinical Placement Unit Requirements
Manual Therapy students undertake mandatory Clinical Placement units. They must obtain a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and health screening through the University procedure on admission to the program.
For more information about entry requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Manchester Met is offering scholarships of up to £2,500 for high achieving applicants. This scholarship is open to international students who enrol on a full-time postgraduate Masters program and meet the eligibility criteria. The scholarship will be awarded automatically upon enrolment, no application is required.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fee for UK, EU and Channel Island students: £472 per 10 taught credits per year
- Tuition fee for Non-EU International students: £16,000 for 15 months.
- Tuition fee for UK, EU and Channel Island students: £692.50 per 10 clinical placement credits per year.
- Tuition fee for Non-EU International students: £862 per 10 credits per year.
A Masters qualification typically comprises 180 credits.
- Specialist study - You are able to focus on particular areas of specialist study including Musculoskeletal, Neurological or our Manual Therapy Clinical Pathway. We also offer several units suitable for clinicians who are entering First Contact Practitioner [FCP] roles. You can access a unit map here, to see which units on the course fit well with each area of specialist study.
- Professional development - When you complete the Manual Therapy pathway, you are able to apply for membership of the Musculoskeletal Association of Chartered Physiotherapists (MACP).
On our course, you will develop specialist physiotherapy skills to help you in clinical practice, as well as critical evaluation and research skills.
As a graduate, you will have gained significant expertise in practice, giving you the opportunity to apply for roles that are more senior. You could apply for a promotion to the next band in the NHS pay scale, for example.
You might look to open a private practice or perhaps go into teaching, continuing the research you began during your course.
A number of our students have presented their abstracts at Physiotherapy Conferences both in the UK and abroad.
Presentations included 'The impact of rehabilitation on parents and caregivers of children with cerebral palsy: A Systematic Review' (Abeer Abdullah Al-Mutayliq) and 'Clinical and cost-effectiveness of a physiotherapy Case Management Service for back pain' (Judith Smith).
Future students may have the opportunity to present abstracts of their work at any of the forthcoming Physiotherapy Conferences.
About this institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Metropolitan University is home to a diverse international student population from more than 130 countries. The University is ranked amongst the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old†, which is a measure of its commitment to delivering and...
Why study at Manchester Metropolitan University
- Ranked in the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old. (** Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2020)
- Lifelong access to our digital careers service for all alumni of the University.
- £400M+ future investment planned to develop our facilities, buildings and public spaces.
- Holder of the distinguished Queen’s Anniversary Prize 2019 for our multilingual poetry project, Mother Tongue Other Tongue.
- 1,700 academic teaching staff and Professors.
- Our teaching quality has been recognised with a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), introduced by the Government in 2017.
- History and heritage: Our roots in higher education date back to 1824.
- Partnerships from across the sporting world including Manchester City Football Club.
- One of the UK's greenest universities / Ranked 2nd in the People & Planet University League 2019.
- Founding member of the Institute of Coding.
Want to know more about Manchester Metropolitan University? Fill out the form and include any questions you have. This information will be sent directly to the school, and a representative will respond to your enquiry.
By completing this form you agree to the Manchester Metropolitan University adding your personal data to our prospective students and enquirers database, and to be contacted by the University for promotional purposes with information on our services, benefits and opportunities. We rely upon the legitimate interests lawful basis in order to hold and use your personal data for these purposes.
You can unsubscribe by using links at the bottom of our communications or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information about our use of your personal data and your data subject rights, please see our Enquirers and Prospective Student Privacy Notice: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/data-protection/privacy-notices/enquirers-prospective-students/
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...