About this program
LLM (Master of Laws)
If you’re ready to take your legal career forward, our LLM is an excellent next step. It’s a versatile qualification that produces employable graduates for an increasingly connected world.
The course offers an in-depth understanding of how the law applies to individuals, business and society, not only regionally and nationally but also in the global arena of international relations and multinational corporations.
As such, you will study the effectiveness of the post-1945 legal world order – from international law to the globalised system of business, trade and commercial laws. You will also learn about the growing body of international human rights and European laws, while exploring issues around Brexit.
With an element of independent study, you can focus on an area of law that interests you – with the support of specialist academics and researchers who are shaping today’s legal environment. And, while you can choose to keep your LLM broad, you could instead opt for one of four specialist routes:
- European Law
- International Business Law
- International Human Rights Law
- International Law
Whatever your pathway, you’ll not only expand your legal knowledge but also develop advanced critical and analytical skills. Whether you’re aiming to become a specialist or you’re pursuing a career in legal research, you’ll find a supportive environment in our leading, modern law school.
You'll need a good UK honours degree - at least a 2:2 - in law or a related humanities, social science or business discipline. Alternatively you will have a Graduate Diploma in Law/Common Professional Examination or a related professional qualification equivalent to a 2:2 OR a related postgraduate diploma or degree.
English Language Requirements
We require IELTS with an overall score of 7.0 with no less than 5.5 in any category, or an equivalent accepted English qualification.
For more information about entry requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Advanced Legal Systems, Skills and Research 1
- Advanced Legal Systems, Skills and Research 2
- Advanced Independent Study
Choose two 30-credit units and two 15-credit units from a list that might include:
- International Human Rights Law
- Law, Terrorism and Human Rights
- European Migration and Asylum Law
- Equality and Human Rights
- European Competition Law
- Public International Law
- International Criminal Law
- Principles of Corporate Law and Governance
- Human Rights and Healthcare
- International Trade Law
- Intellectual Property in a Global Context
- Brexit, the European Union and UK Law
- International Child Law
- International Refugee Law
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
- 1 year full-time
- 2 years part-time
UK and Channel Island Students
- Full-time fee: £9,250 per year.
- Part-time fee: £1542 per year.
EU and Non-EU International Students
- Full-time fee: £17,500 per year.
- Part-time fee: £2917 per year.
Our LLM course has everything you need to give your career prospects in the legal sector a real boost. It’s an interdisciplinary, versatile qualification that is internationally recognised, giving you the valuable skills and understanding that can open doors to exciting opportunities the world over.
You should leave us with the advanced research skills that will appeal to a huge range of organisations, from public administration and the civil service to the third sector and the world of commerce. If you’d prefer to stay in academia and research, you will also be well prepared to take the next step with a PhD.
Whatever your background or experience, completing this course will show employers that you have the intellectual drive and dedication to succeed in your chosen area of law. With the advanced and specialised legal training our LLM offers, you will be well-placed to work in a multinational environment, as well as in regional or national firms or in-house legal teams.
Message the school
About this institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Met is located in the centre of Manchester, an exciting and vibrant city, full of museums, galleries, theatres and music venues. It has a proud history dating back to 1824 and has a diverse international population from over 100...
Why study at Manchester Metropolitan University
- Ranked 67th University in the UK. (Complete University Guide 2023)
- Lifelong access to our digital careers service for all alumni of the University.
- £400M+ future investment planned to develop our facilities, buildings and public spaces.
- 1,700 academic teaching staff and Professors.
- 2,700 international students from over 100 countries
- History and heritage: Our roots in higher education date back to 1824.
- Proud to be the UK's number 1 sustainable university. (People & Planet University League 2021/22)
- Free English language support during your studies.Industry links with global companies, including IBM, Bentley Motors, Bosch, Nike, Walt Disney, L’Oreal, and Lloyds Banking Group
- 90% of our research impact is world-leading or internationally excellent. (REF 2021)
Want to know more about Manchester Metropolitan University? Fill out the form and include any questions you have. This information will be sent directly to the school, and a representative will respond to your enquiry.
By completing this form you agree to the Manchester Metropolitan University adding your personal data to our prospective students and enquirers database, and to be contacted by the University for promotional purposes with information on our services, benefits and opportunities. We rely upon the legitimate interests lawful basis in order to hold and use your personal data for these purposes.
You can unsubscribe by using links at the bottom of our communications or by contacting email@example.com. For further information about our use of your personal data and your data subject rights, please see our Enquirers and Prospective Student Privacy Notice: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/data-protection/privacy-notices/enquirers-prospective-students/
Be the first to write a review!