BSc AI & Data Science
A degree in AI and Data Science will equip you with the knowledge and skills to acquire, curate, manage, analyse, and make inferences from data for solving real-world problems.
In your first year, you will study core computing topics such as programming and databases, as well as specialist subjects such as mathematics, statistics, and the principles and practice of data science. Alongside these subjects, you will be developing your communication and team working skills. As you move into your second year you’ll progress onto more advanced topics, such as applied predictive modelling, algorithms and data structures, machine learning and the theory and implementation of alternative database models. In your final year, you’ll be ready to meet complex subjects such as deep learning, high-performance computing and big data, and you’ll turn your hand to a large-scale technical project.
Study with us and you’ll gain essential, transferable computational and statistical thinking skills to create and deploy data-driven products. We’ll equip you with the knowledge for solving challenges in a range of potential data-rich application domains, such as medicine, health, climate, transportation, marketing and sales.
This program has the following options:
- 3 years full-time
- 4 years with placement
- A foundation year is also available
UK Students Entry Requirements
Specific GCSE Requirements
GCSE grade C/4 in English Language, Mathematics and Science. Level 2 Functional Skills English and BTEC Level 2 in Applied Science with merit grade will also be accepted.
Non Tariffed Qualifications
A minimum of 112 UCAS tariff points from an Access to HE Diploma in a Computing or IT discipline will be considered
International Students Entry Requirements
International Baccalaureate Points
26 IB Diploma Points including HL 5 in IT
IELTS Score Required For International Students
IELTS -6.0 overall with no individual element below 5.5
For more information about entry requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Mathematics for Computing
- Team Project
- Principles and Practice of Data Science
- Graduate Skills
- Mathematics and Statistics for Data Science
- Industry and Community Engagement
- Database Models and Implementation
- Applied Predictive Modelling
- Machine Learning
- Algorithms and Data Structures
- Thematic Project
- Data Governance and Management
- Deep Learning
- High-Performance Computing and Big Data
- Synoptic Project
- Research Methods
- User Experience and Interaction Design
- Research in Computing
- Rapid Applied Problem Solving
- Mobile Computing
Scholarships & funding
Manchester Met is offering a scholarship package of £2,000 for every year of study to international students accepted onto a full-time taught undergraduate program that starts in September 2020. If you meet the eligibility criteria, the scholarship will be awarded upon enrolment, no application is required.
For more information about scholarship options, please visit the university website.
- Tuition fee for UK and EU students: £9,250 per year.
- Tuition fee for Non-EU International students between: £15,000 and £16,500 per year.
A 3 year degree qualification typically comprises of 360 credits (120 credits per year).
- Specialise in the exciting and fast-growing field of data science, gaining knowledge and skills that are highly valued by an array of tech companies.
- The Department of Computing and Mathematics is an academic partner of the Oracle Academy. This partnership recognises our expertise in the field of database and data science.
- You will study a curriculum designed with industry in mind to equip you with the range of skills and strengths that employers demand.
- The four-year placement route gives you the opportunity to spend your third year on an industry placement, boosting your employment prospects on graduation.
- You will experience what it's like to work as part of a professional team, finding solutions to complex problems via group projects. You can also get involved with extracurricular work to further apply your skills, such as hackathons, gaming events and the Students’ Union Computing Society.
A degree in Data Science will equip you with essential, transferable computational and statistical thinking skills to create and deploy data-driven products and knowledge for solving challenges in a range of data-rich application domains. You’ll be ideally placed to apply for a range of roles, including as a data analyst or data scientist.
In addition, the skills you learn on this degree are highly valued by a range of employers and opportunities may exist in areas such as project management, e-commerce and social media marketing, scientific research, education and many more.
Manchester is a major hub for the digital technology industry. The close proximity of MediaCity and a large number of both established companies and innovative tech start-ups means that the opportunities for technological collaboration are huge. Situated in the “Oxford Road Corridor" innovation district of Manchester, the University and the Department of Computing and Mathematics are perfectly placed to work with key players in the digital technology and new media sectors.
About this institute
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Metropolitan University is home to a diverse international student population from more than 130 countries. The University is ranked amongst the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old†, which is a measure of its commitment to delivering and...
Why study at Manchester Metropolitan University
- Ranked in the world’s top 200 universities under 50 years old. (** Times Higher Education Young University Rankings 2020)
- Lifelong access to our digital careers service for all alumni of the University.
- £400M+ future investment planned to develop our facilities, buildings and public spaces.
- Holder of the distinguished Queen’s Anniversary Prize 2019 for our multilingual poetry project, Mother Tongue Other Tongue.
- 1,700 academic teaching staff and Professors.
- Our teaching quality has been recognised with a Silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), introduced by the Government in 2017.
- History and heritage: Our roots in higher education date back to 1824.
- Partnerships from across the sporting world including Manchester City Football Club.
- One of the UK's greenest universities / Ranked 2nd in the People & Planet University League 2019.
- Founding member of the Institute of Coding.
Want to know more about Manchester Metropolitan University? Fill out the form and include any questions you have. This information will be sent directly to the school, and a representative will respond to your enquiry.
By completing this form you agree to the Manchester Metropolitan University adding your personal data to our prospective students and enquirers database, and to be contacted by the University for promotional purposes with information on our services, benefits and opportunities. We rely upon the legitimate interests lawful basis in order to hold and use your personal data for these purposes.
You can unsubscribe by using links at the bottom of our communications or by contacting email@example.com. For further information about our use of your personal data and your data subject rights, please see our Enquirers and Prospective Student Privacy Notice: https://www.mmu.ac.uk/data-protection/privacy-notices/enquirers-prospective-students/
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Potsdam, United States of America
Melbourne (Australia), Australia
Melbourne (Australia), Australia
Bangor, United States of America