Recreation, Sport and LeisureLoyalist College of Applied Arts & Technology
Recreation, Sport and Leisure
All available course dates
About this program
Recreation, Sport and Leisure
Our busy days are often highly scheduled, making it essential that quality wellness and recreation services are available within our community. Recreation and sport professionals help build healthy communities and develop programs for individuals of all ages. Please note: The program name on the Ontario College application portals is Recreation and Leisure Services - Sports. Upon successful program completion, students will receive an Ontario College Diploma in Recreation, Sport and Leisure.
Required academic preparation
- OSSD/OSSGD or equivalent with courses at the general, advanced, (C), (U) or (M) level, AND
- Grade 12 English (C) level or equivalent
- Standard First Aid and Level “C” CPR with AED certification (adult, child and infant).
- Immunization record and/or personal health history
- The program includes a physical fitness component. Prospective students with special needs, limitations or health-related issued that may affect their field placement or potential employment opportunities are encouraged to discuss their career goals with the program coordinator as part of the application process.
Is it for you?
Do you enjoy being active? Is your enthusiasm contagious? This is a great program for people who:
- Are outgoing and like working with the public
- Have energy to burn
- Possess keen observational skills
- Are good motivators
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
First Year - Semester One
- College Writing Skills
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Human Development & Sport
- Personal Health and Wellness
- Succeeding in Fitness & Recreation
First Year - Semester Two
- Exercise Physiology & Rehabilitative Anatomy
- Human Resources & Customer Service
- Introduction to Program Design
- Sport & Recreation Programming
- Sport Psychology & Leadership
Second Year - Semester Three
- Emerging Trends in Sport
- Field Placement 1
- Outdoor Recreation
- Professional & Career Development
- Research and Proposal Writing
- Sport Injury Management
Second Year - Semester Four
- Advanced Program Planning and Documentation
- Entrepreneurship & Marketing
- Field Placement 2
- Inclusive Programming
- Outdoor & Adventure Prg.
- Sport & Event Management
- Sport Administration
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
- Domestic Tuition: $2,722.08
- Full-Time Ancillary Fees:* $1,308
- Total: $4,030.08
Credential: Two-year Ontario College Diploma
This hands-on program produces recreation and sport professionals with the skills and knowledge to help people of all ages and abilities combine wellness and physical activity in their daily lives:
- Engage in outdoor recreation activities such as stand-up paddle boarding, canoeing, slacklining and skiing.
- Work directly with children and youth with a variety of exceptionalities and abilities within an adaptive recreation setting.
- Prepare for self-employment through an independent research project in the final semester. Design an original program or business that can be showcased to employers and investors upon graduation.
- Pursue opportunities to complete aquatic and outdoor recreation qualifications.
- Gain important public relations, marketing, financial, and research and proposal writing skills.
- Hear from industry professional guest speakers in recreation and outdoor education.
- Gain 320 hours of on-the-job experience in two field placements within a variety of settings: municipal health and wellness centres, military recreation, resort destinations, outdoor education centres, retirement and therapeutic recreation facilities, and international programs
Find your career
This program prepares students for leadership positions in sports and recreation programs. Train to:
- Design recreational initiatives for community recreation centres, fitness clubs, seniors’ facilities, college and university athletic departments, community associations such as the YMCA, service clubs, corporate fitness programs, tourist resorts and cruise ships.
- Manage indoor and outdoor recreation, sports and fitness facilities or start your own business.
- Graduates obtain industry-recognized High 5 certification in leadership and coaching required to work with day camps and children’s programs.
Message the school
About this institute
Loyalist College of Applied Arts & Technology
Loyalist College will be Ontario’s Destination College, known locally, nationally, and internationally as a deliberate choice of students, faculty, and staff, where their experiences are enabled by an engaged and supportive culture....
Want to know more about Recreation, Sport and Leisure? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!