Police FoundationsLoyalist College of Applied Arts & Technology
All available course dates
About this program
Police officers make our communities a better place. They do this by preventing crime, enforcing laws and improving the quality of life for all. Loyalist's program prepares you to be a great candidate for police services. To help you get started and make connections, Loyalist Police Foundations provides eligible students with experience, observing police officers in action, at their side.
Required academic preparation
- OSSD/OSSGD or equivalent with courses at the general, advanced, (C), (U) or (M) level, AND
- Grade 12 English (C) level or equivalent OR
- Applicants with a related degree or diploma may be considered for advanced standing or direct entry into year two; please review your qualifications with the program coordinator.
Applicants who possess a related college diploma (i.e. human studies, justice services) are eligible for direct entry into year two of the program.
Applicants who possess an unrelated college diploma are considered on a case-by-case basis for direct entry into year two.
Applicants who possess a university degree are eligible for direct entry into year two of the program; however, applicants should meet with their program coordinator regarding appropriate course and program planning.
- Applicants with special needs or limitations that may affect their potential employment are encouraged to discuss their program and career goals with the coordinator prior to enrolment.
- To progress to year two, applicants must successfully complete all first-year courses (or equivalent) at a minimum grade of 50% and meet the published requirements of a Loyalist Police Foundations physical fitness test at 65%.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
First Year - Semester One
- Canadian Criminal Justice System
- College Writing Skills
- Ethical Considerations in Justice
- Interpersonal & Group Dynamics
- Lifestyle Management & Fitness 1
First Year - Semester Two
- Career Resource Development
- Conflict Management & Crisis Intervention
- Criminal and Civil Law
- Issues in Diverse Populations
- Lifestyle Management & Fitness 2
Second Year - Semester Three
- Fitness & Resiliency for Policing 3
- Interviewing & Investigation
- Law Enforcement Practicum 1
- Mental Health & Vulnerable Populations
- Police Powers
- Provincial Offences
- Youth in Conflict with the Law
Second Year - Semester Four
- Community Mobilization & Engagement
- Court Proceedings & Evidence
- Federal Statutes
- Fitness & Resiliency for Policing 4
- Indigenous Studies
- Law Enforcement Practicum 2
- Police Recruitment Preparation
- Traffic Management
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
- Domestic Tuition: $2,722.08
- Full-Time Ancillary Fees:* $1,308
- Total: $4,030.08
- Additional Program Costs: $594 (year one) and $523 (year two)
Credential: Two-year Ontario College Diploma
Prepare to excel in the satisfying and fascinating profession of policing. Enter the field confidently with a combination of theory and practical experiences.
- Gain valuable field or field-related experience in two separate placements.
- Practise interpreting and applying the law from class to courtroom.
- Participate in a mock trial in a real courtroom with real judges.
- Role-play different scenarios using uniforms and police training equipment.
- Volunteer with police services in roles which have included emergency response training, front line officer training, mock disaster participation, and community policing activities.
- Learn to put personal safety and respect for victims into practice.
- Discover skills to improve your resiliency to stress.
- Develop essential career skills in ethical decision-making and conflict management.
Find your career
- There are a broad range of career opportunities with municipal and regional police services, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), Military Police, RCMP and related law enforcement agencies.
- Loyalist College prepares you for police aptitude testing, physical fitness testing and other components of the recruiting process.
Our grads get great jobs
- Ontario Provincial Police
- Municipal and Regional Police
- Military Police
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Provincial Park Wardens
- Customs Officers
Message the school
About this institute
Loyalist College of Applied Arts & Technology
Loyalist College will be Ontario’s Destination College, known locally, nationally, and internationally as a deliberate choice of students, faculty, and staff, where their experiences are enabled by an engaged and supportive culture....
Want to know more about Police Foundations? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!