General Arts and Science-CertificateLoyalist College
General Arts and Science-Certificate
All available course dates
About this program
General Arts and Science
Not sure which career path to follow? Explore your options while earning college-level credits that you can apply towards another program or a university degree.
Required academic preparation
- OSSD/OSSGD or equivalent with courses at the general, advanced, (C), (U) or (M) level, AND
- Grade 12 English (C) level or equivalent
- Criminal Record Check required for most community field placements (Vulnerable Sector Check may also be required).
- A formal, confidential personal health history and up-to-date immunization are required as part of the registration process.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Is it for you?
This program is designed to meet a wide range of learning needs. General Arts and Science may be a perfect fit if you are:
- Interested in many subjects and want to keep your options open.
- Finishing high school and unsure of your direction.
- Seeking to upgrade your qualifications to gain admission to university.
- Unhappy in your job and want to discover your career passion.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
First Year - Semester One
- Arts & Science Seminar
- Career Resource Development
- Computer Essentials
- Financial Management
- Introduction to Language Theory & Composition
First Year - Semester Two
- Advanced Language Theory & Composition
- Interpersonal Psychology
- Practicum 1
- Practicum Seminar 1
- Technology and Humanity
Second Year - Semester Three
- Essay Writing
- Field Placement Preparation 2
- History of Psychiatry
- Oral Communications & Media Analysis
- Sociology 2
Second Year - Semester Four
- Critical Thinking & Ethics
- Cultural Anthropology
- Global Issues & Pol. Sys.
- Professional Portfolio
- Psychology 2
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
Get a well-rounded education in math, science, business and communication skills, not to mention the freedom to choose from an outstanding line-up of courses. Define your interests, opportunities and goals while earning credits you can transfer to future studies.
- Learn with a mix of group assignments, community projects and online class activities.
- Work one-on-one with a faculty advisor each semester to select electives suitable to you — go broad or specialize — it’s up to you.
- Choose from a wide range of electives, and explore opportunities you may not even know, with options as wide-ranging as human biology, computer applications, psychology, technology and humanity.
- Some electives are available online or offer virtual learning experiences, such as the Ecowalk.
- Gain work experience one day a week in your second semester.
- Expand your on-the-job experiences to two days a week in the third semester.
- Past placements include museums, art galleries, funeral homes, veterinary offices, long-term care facilities, schools and social service agencies.
- General Arts & Science (year two): After one year of vocational exploration, prepare for university studies during year two with a liberal arts university-focused diploma.
- Domestic Tuition: $2,722.08
- Full-Time Ancillary Fees:* $1,462
- Total: $4,184.08
- One-year Ontario College Certificate (GASC/GACJ/GACM)
- Two-year Ontario College Diploma (GASP/GAPJ/GADM)
Find your career
A broad education in arts and science provides the foundation to succeed in a wide range of careers:
- Graduates of our certificate program find employment in advanced/managerial service and retail positions.
- Graduates of our diploma program become facilitators, social service workers, correctional officers, retail managers, and entrepreneurs. Earning a diploma will prepare students for managerial positions in government, education, criminal justice, human services, education, business, manufacturing, media, technology, and communications, to name a few.
- Others continue their education in a college post-graduate program or apply their credits towards advanced standing at university.
Message the school
About this institute
Loyalist College empowers students, faculty, staff, and partners through experiential, economic, cluster-based applied programs and research that provide career-ready graduates for, and knowledge transfer to, industry and the community....
Why study at Loyalist College
In a world obsessed with big, we are small.
Small gives us the power to do big things. And things that make a big difference to our students, community, and partners. In an impersonal world of big lecture halls and stadium seating, we know our students by name and circumstance.
Small frees us to provide personal one-on-one attention, in small classes and learning environments. Small means our students feel like they matter. That they belong. That they are no longer invisible in a world which had passed them by. Small means that we can move mountains to help every student succeed, confident in who they are and what they are capable of becoming.
We are Loyalist College of Applied Arts and Technology.
We are small.
Want to know more about General Arts and Science-Certificate? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!