Architectural TechnologyLoyalist College of Applied Arts & Technology
All available course dates
About this program
From sustainable houses to sophisticated office buildings and community recreation centres, you can help design and build residential, commercial and institutional spaces that will shape our communities and the way people live.
Required academic preparation
- OSSD/OSSGD or equivalent with courses at the general, advanced, (C), (U) or (M) level, AND
- Grade 12 English (C) level or equivalent OR
- Mature applicant
- Graduates with a certificate in Residential Drafting and Design gain admission directly into year two of the diploma program.
Recommended academic preparation
- Grade 12 Math
Is it for you?
Successful students in this program are people who:
- Want to figure out how things work or how they go together
- Like to sketch and design
- May have some drafting or construction experience
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the college website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
First Year - Semester One
- Architectural Drafting Studio 1
- Building Construction, Codes, and Standards 1
- Building Methods & Materials
- CAD 1
- Presentation 1
- Sustainable Design
First Year - Semester Two
- Architectural Drafting Studio 2
- Building Construction, Codes, and Standards 2
- CAD 2
- Design 1
- Environmental Systems
- Introduction to Architecture
Second Year - Semester Three
- Architectural CAD 3
- Building Construction, Codes, and Standards 3
- Health & Safety
- Mechanical and Electrical Systems
- Presentation 2
- Project Coordination and Research 1
- Strength of Materials 1
Second Year - Semester Four
- Architectural CAD 4
- Building Construction, Codes, and Standards 4
- Career Research
- Design 2
- Introduction to Surveying
- Project Coordination and Research 2
- Structures and Drafting 1
Third Year - Semester Five
- Canadian Architecture
- Construction Management
- Structures and Drafting 2
- Studio Project 1
Third Year - Semester Six
- Contracts, Specifications, and Estimating
- Structures and Drafting 3
- Studio Project 2
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the college website for more information.
- Domestic Tuition: $2,722.08
- Full-Time Ancillary Fees:* $1,308
- Total: $4,030.08
Credential:Three-year Ontario College Advanced Diploma (Technology)
Creative problem-solving and real-world skills will build the buildings and cities of the future. In this program, students will learn the significance of architecture to human culture and how buildings are designed, developed, and constructed.
- Learning combines studio work, classroom instruction, and field trips to study the design and construction of major construction and renovation projects – working independently and in teams.
- Develop skills in manual and computer design and drafting (CADD), and then create 3D models using the latest software in our state-of-the-art design studios.
- During independent design projects, students determine a structure's physical needs, and design solutions that creatively address the use of space, materials, codes, structure, construction methods, zoning, and the environment.
- There will be an optional work-integrated learning opportunity upon completion of semester four.
- In their last year, Technology students use 3D modeling software to design a public facility in a local community.
Find your career
Loyalist grads are well respected by employers across Canada. Architectural technicians and technologists are prepared to find work as:
- Designers and project managers in architectural and consulting firms.
- Project coordinators and estimators in construction.
- Technical and sales representatives for manufacturers.
- Municipal zoning and building plan examiners and inspectors.
- Self-employed entrepreneurs.
- Average starting salaries range from $35,000 to $39,999.*
Our grads get great jobs
- Architectural Designer, J.L. Richards & Associates Limited
- Architectural Technologist, Quadrangle Architects Ltd.
- Architectural Technologist, Brisbin Brook Beynon Architects
- Chief Building Official, Loyalist Township
- AutoCAD Technician, Canadian Safety Anchor Inspections
- Building Development Consultant, Greer Galloway Group
- Draftsperson and Estimator, Geertsma Construction Ltd.
Message the school
About this institute
Loyalist College of Applied Arts & Technology
Loyalist College will be Ontario’s Destination College, known locally, nationally, and internationally as a deliberate choice of students, faculty, and staff, where their experiences are enabled by an engaged and supportive culture....
Want to know more about Architectural Technology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!