About this program
MSc Public Health
This program aims to equip students with the knowledge and skills to enable them to address public health challenges through research and practice. It covers the whole breadth of public health, encompassing low-, middle- and high-income countries. It reflects local, national and international public health agendas, and provides the opportunity to explore public health issues in depth with academics, researchers and practitioners.
The normal minimum entry requirements for the MSc Public Health are:
- An upper second class honours degree (2:1) from a UK university, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard.
- Work experience: preference will be given to applicants with relevant work experience, this includes both paid and voluntary work, internships etc.
- Additional requirement: applicants for the MSc Public Health (all streams) will need to provide some evidence of ability in mathematics, post-16 year education. This could include:
- "A" level or a higher school certificate,
- a module within an undergraduate degree (such as quantitative methods, epidemiology or statistics)
- statistics studied as part of a general research methods course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
All students complete the Public Health common core, consisting of four compulsory modules:
- Basic Statistics for Public Health & Policy
- Basic Epidemiology
- Issues in Public Health
- Principles of Social Research
Term 1 Additional Modules
All students take two additional modules, selected from the following:
- Environment, Health & Sustainable Development
- Health Policy, Process & Power
- Health Promotion Theory
- Health Services
- Introduction to Health Economics
Term 1 Supplementary Modules
Students unfamiliar with computers will need to take the introductory course in basic computer skills. Students are also encouraged to attend the Global Health Lecture Series and seminars organised by Research Modules.
Terms 2 and 3
By the middle of Term 1 students must have selected one of the six streams. During Terms 2 and 3 all students will take a total of five study modules, one from each timetable slot. For most streams two of these modules are compulsory. Which modules these are, and what other modules are available, differs according to the stream.
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
Up to date information on tuition fees can be found on the LSHTM website.
Graduates from this program enter a diverse range of positions in public health, research, NGOs, health programs, health services, government, policy and planning.
Below you will find just a few of the positions and organisations that our graduates from this course have entered:
Example job titles:
- Academic Researcher
- Clinical Fellow in Medicine
- Clinical Trials Assistant
- Data analyst
- Director and Health Impact Assessment Consultant
- Doctor and Senior Health Officer
- Ebola Emergency Response Manager
- Health Improvement Leader
- Health Policy Officer
- Health Promotions Specialist
- Monitoring and Evaluation Associate
- Policy Adviser
- Project Manager
- Senior Executive for Service Planning and Care Integration
- Short term Consultant, World Health Organisation
- Wellcome Trust Clinical PhD Fellow
- Health Economist
On successful completion of the program, students will receive a Master's degree in Public Health. This will reflect their choice of stream:
- Environment & Health
- Health Economics
- Health Promotion
- Health Services Management
- Health Services Research
- Public Health (General stream)
Message the school
About this institute
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Established in 1899, The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is dedicated to improving health worldwide through training the next generation of health leaders to address major public and global health challenges. LSHTM has a unique range and...
Why study at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
LSHTM is highly ranked in various university league tables:
- #1 in Europe for research impact in sciences by CWTS Leiden Ranking 2019
- #3 in the world for Public Health in ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020
- #4 in the world for Infectious Diseases in US News Best Global Universities Subject Ranking 2021
Average rating 4.5Based on 2 reviews.
Want to know more about MSc Public Health? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
You may also like...