MSc Nutrition for Global HealthLondon School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
MSc Nutrition for Global Health
All available course dates
About this program
MSc Nutrition for Global Health
The programme provides training in public health nutrition in a global setting. An integrated programme covers epidemiological, dietary, public health, social and biological aspects of nutritional science. Specialist topics include: maternal and child nutrition; nutrition in emergencies; nutrition programme planning, evaluation and monitoring; nutrition-related chronic disease. The main programme focus is on nutritional problems in low and middle-income countries – although skills and learning outcomes are widely applicable to all populations globally.
The programme attracts graduates from many countries and various disciplines who wish to equip themselves for global health nutrition research and teaching, operational work in the field or community nutrition programmes, work in public health nutrition, including health promotion and nutrition education, and for policy and programme planning in nutrition. The MSc has been designed to focus on nutritional problems in low- and middle-income countries. This course is not a dietetic qualification.
By the end of this program students should be able to:
- demonstrate an advanced knowledge of public health nutrition at biological, social & policy levels
- assess critically, select and apply a range of appropriate research skills and techniques, including: anthropometry, dietary analysis, statistics, epidemiology, qualitative methods, research, computing & information retrieval
- interpret and synthesise different types of data used to analyse and assess nutritional problems at population and population sub-group levels
- evaluate critically the findings of scientific studies on public health nutrition
- disseminate and present research findings in a range of formats and contexts
- identify and formulate appropriate responses and intervention strategies to address nutritional issues, taking into account the public health and social policy contexts
- apply knowledge of effective teamwork and communication skills to solve problems and achieve goals
A student must normally satisfy the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine general entrance requirements and the additional program specific entrance requirements as follows:
The normal minimum entrance qualification for registration at the School on a Master's program is at least one of the following:
- an upper second-class honours degree (2:1) of a UK university, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard, in a subject appropriate to that of the course of study to be followed
- a registrable qualification appropriate to the course of study to be followed, in medicine, dentistry or veterinary studies
Applications with an appropriate technical qualification, or equivalent qualification and experience from overseas, are also encouraged.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
All students take three compulsory modules:
- Fundamental Public Health Nutrition
- Basic Epidemiology
- Statistics for Epidemiology & Population Health
One additional optional module may also be taken from:
- Foundations for Health Promotion
- Health Policy, Process & Power
- Principles of Social Research
Students take a total of five modules, one from each timetable slot (Slot 1, Slot 2 etc.). The list below shows recommended modules. There are other modules which can only be taken after consultation with the course director.
- Maternal and Child Nutrition (compulsory)
- Design & Analysis of Epidemiological Studies
- Nutrition in Emergencies
- Nutrition-Related Chronic Diseases (compulsory)
- Advanced Statistical Methods in Epidemiology
- Analysing Survey & Population Data
- Applying Public Health Principles
- Nutrition Programme Planning
- Principles and Practice of Public Health
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
Up to date information on tuition fees can be found on the LSHTM website.
Graduates work for local and national governments, NGOs, international agencies, academic institutions, and in fields ranging from food emergencies to research on nutrient-gene interactions.
Below you will find just a few of the positions and organisations that our graduates from this course have entered:
Example job titles:
- Dietitian and Nutritionist
- Humanitarian Nutrition Trainee
- Nutrition Business Development Officer
- Nutrition Consultant
- Nutritional Researcher
- Project Co-Ordinator
- Public Health Dietician
- Health and Nutrition Area Co-Ordinator
- Humanitarian Affairs Officer
- Project Manager
Message the school
About this institute
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Established in 1899, The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is dedicated to improving health worldwide through training the next generation of health leaders to address major public and global health challenges. LSHTM has a unique range and...
Why study at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
LSHTM is highly ranked in various university league tables, winning the Queen’s Anniversary Prize in 2021 in recognition of its response to COVID-19 and pandemic preparedness, as well as being #1 in the UK and #3 in the world for Public Health in the ShanghaiRankings (2021).
Teaching staff are all experts in their respective fields and continue as active researchers, bringing their wealth of experience and up-to-date knowledge directly into the lecture halls and seminar rooms. Many of the staff are well renowned, so students may find themselves being taught by figures they have read about in previous studies.
Average rating 5Based on 1 reviews.
Incredible, engaging, inspiring and facilitative course. All lecturers and staff were kind and compassionate and extremely intelligent, and made our taught content a pleasure to learn. LSHTM itself is a close-knit community where everyone supports one another and helps each other to achieve their full potential.
Want to know more about MSc Nutrition for Global Health? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.