MSc in EpidemiologyLondon School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
MSc in Epidemiology
All available course dates
MSc in Epidemiology
These programs provide epidemiological training for professionals in academic departments, research units, or in the health services.
Epidemiology is the key discipline underlying medical research, public health practice and health care evaluation. The understanding of its principles and practice is crucial for those involved in the design or assessment of epidemiological studies and program evaluation. Epidemiological methods are also used to describe the size and nature of health problems, to investigate the aetiology of specific diseases, and to evaluate the impact of interventions for treating and preventing ill health.
These programs provide epidemiology training for professionals in academic departments, research modules or in the health services. They are suitable for those aiming for a career in epidemiology research, academics in other health areas and other health professionals. The programs are also of interest to people who require an understanding of epidemiology, such as medical journalists and scientific officers in government and industry.
All applicants are required to have:
A first or second class honours degree or equivalent, from a university or other institution acceptable to the University of London, in health-related disciplines or in statistics or another appropriate subject. Work experience in a health sciences or health care setting is desirable but not essential.
Applicants with an appropriate professional or technical qualification in a health-related field, which satisfies the University as a qualification equivalent to a second class honours degree, together with at least three years’ relevant experience, may also be considered on an individual basis.
Qualifications from around the world are accepted; for further guidance please see the School's qualifications for entrance. Students who do not satisfy the entrance requirements may still be admitted at the discretion of the School on the basis of their academic qualifications, work experience and references.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
MSc: 9 modules (4 compulsory core modules + 2 additional compulsory + 3 elective modules) + a project report and qualifying examination paper
Those registered for the MSc must additionally select one module from the other EPM3 modules listed below. They are also required to complete a project report and sit an additional unseen written examination in their final year of study.
Note that restrictions and pre-requisites may apply to some of the modules below. Not all modules will be available every year. Those marked 'recommended' have been classified as of high epidemiological content / relevance.
EPM3 (all recommended):
- Epidemiology of Communicable Diseases
- Modelling and the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases
- Advanced Statistical Methods in Epidemiology
- Global Epidemiology of Non-Communicable Diseases
- Trial Designs (recommended)
- Project Management and Research Co-ordination
- Regulatory affairs, Good Clinical Practice and Ethics
- Further Statistics for Clinical Trials
- Cluster Randomised Trials (recommended)
- Demographic Data: Sources, Collection and Evaluation (recommended)
- Contemporary Demographic Trends and Issues
- The Economics of Global Health Policy
- Bacterial Infections
- Nutrition & Infection
- Healthcare-Associated Infection
- Immunology of Infection and Vaccines
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
- Epidemiology & Control of Infectious Diseases in Developing Countries (recommended)
- Analytical Models for Decision Making
- Economic Analysis for Health Policy
- Economic Evaluation
- Environmental Epidemiology (recommended)
- Environmental Health Policy
- Health Care Evaluation
- Globalisation and Health
- Medical Anthropology in Public Health
- Organisational Management
- Principles & Practice of Health Promotion
- Conflict and Health
- History and Health
- Sexual Health
- Evaluation of Public Health Interventions
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
Successful completion of the program can allow students to progress to a higher level qualification in the subject area.
About this institute
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Established in 1899, The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is dedicated to improving health worldwide through training the next generation of health leaders to address major public and global health challenges. This year, LSHTM celebrates 120 years...
Why study at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
LSHTM is highly ranked in various university league tables:
- #1 in Europe for research impact in sciences by CWTS Leiden Ranking 2019
- #3 in the world for Public Health in ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020
- #4 in the world for Infectious Diseases in US News Best Global Universities Subject Ranking 2021
Want to know more about MSc in Epidemiology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...