MSc Health Data Science
This program, supported by Health Data Research UK (HDR UK), aims to train a new generation of world-leading health data scientists, to work in both the public and private sector. Teaching will focus on building strong quantitative, computational and practical data management skills, while providing opportunities to develop key professional skills required to be a successful health data scientist.
Health Data Science is an emerging discipline, combining mathematics, statistics, epidemiology and informatics. This program will equip graduates with the tools and skills to manage and analyse very large diverse datasets across healthcare systems.
The program will enable you to:
- apply statistical and machine learning approaches to analyse health-related data
- acquire the tools and skills to manage very large diverse datasets across healthcare systems
- develop the professional skills – including teamwork, project management, and presentation skills – to work as a successful data scientist in the public or private sector
- understand the varied roles of a health data scientist within the wider health and health research environment
- learn about the key sources of health data, and the context in which these data are collected, implications of the context on issues such as data quality, accessibility, bias and the appropriateness of use to address specific questions
- study the key issues related to ethics, security and information governance.
The normal minimum entry requirement to be considered for master’s degrees admission at the LSHTM is at least one of the following:
- a second-class honours degree from a UK university, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard, in a relevant subject
- a qualification appropriate to the course of study to be followed. In this case appropriate qualifications will include mathematics, statistics, physics, engineering and computer science. Life science qualifications will be considered subject to evidence of sufficient quantitative background.
- a master’s degree in a subject appropriate to the course of study to be followed
- a professional qualification appropriate to the program of study to be followed.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the institute website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
All students take five compulsory modules:
- Introduction to Health Data Science
- Health Data Management
- Epidemiology for Health Data Science
- Statistics for Health Data Science
Students take a total of four modules one from each timetable slot (Slot 1, Slot 2 etc.). The list below shows recommended modules.
- Machine Learning (compulsory)
- Data Challenge (compulsory)
- Genomics Health Data*
- Modelling & the Dynamics of Infectious Diseases
- Analysis of Hierarchical and Other Dependent Data
- Spatial Epidemiology in Public Health
- Environmental Epidemiology
- Survival Analysis and Bayesian Statistics
Full-Time Tuition fees
- UK: £10,990
- EU/Overseas: £25,410
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the institute website for more information.
Why this course?
Do you want to better understand the causes of disease and identify new ways to prevent, treat and cure disease?
The increasing amounts of electronically captured and stored health related data provide enormous opportunities to achieve these goals. Making optimal use of these data requires people with wide-ranging expertise in areas including statistics, programming, informatics and epidemiology.
Health Data Science at LSHTM
LSHTM is a world leader in the use of health data for research, with expertise in the creation, linkage and analysis of a wide range of data sources, encompassing data on environmental and social factors as well as ‘omic data, both human and pathogen. In addition, LSHTM has global reach and a large international network of partnerships enabling data science collaborations worldwide.
Our electronic health records (EHR) work encompasses pharmacoepidemiology, phenotyping, vaccine effectiveness/safety, health policy assessment, and infectious disease surveillance. We have expertise in using national audits for quality improvement, and developing NHS performance indicators. Our work is underpinned by an internationally recognised group of biostatistical methodologists.
Is this the right program for me?
Medical Statistics, Epidemiology, and Health Data Science are closely related disciplines. We offer Master's degrees in each of these disciplines. Here are some of the differences in emphasis between the them:
- MSc Health Data Science
- MSc Medical Statistics
- MSc Epidemiology
The demand for well-trained health data scientists is high and likely to increase over time. We anticipate our graduates may pursue careers in:
- National health services
- The pharmaceutical industry
- Contract research organisations
- Governmental institutions (such as the Health Protection Agency and the World Health Organization)
- Non-governmental organisations
- Health-tech SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises)
About this institute
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Established in 1899, The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is dedicated to improving health worldwide through training the next generation of health leaders to address major public and global health challenges. This year, LSHTM celebrates 120 years...
Why study at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
LSHTM is highly ranked in various university league tables:
- #1 in Europe for research impact in sciences by CWTS Leiden Ranking 2019
- #3 in the world for Public Health in ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020
- #4 in the world for Infectious Diseases in US News Best Global Universities Subject Ranking 2021
Want to know more about MSc Health Data Science? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...