Want to receive regular updates on study abroad programs? Sign up to our newsletter here!
Architecture, Cities and Urbanism MA (Full-time)London Metropolitan University
Architecture, Cities and Urbanism MA (Full-time)
Why study this course?
Urban design is a growing profession. Join a course that has led to careers in local government, planning, development and regeneration, and expand your career prospects across architecture, design and research.
Our Architecture, Cities and Urbanism MA focuses on problem-based learning in urban contexts. During the course you will work to define urban, social, economic and policy problems. Spatial design will help you both as a research tool to explore possible solutions, and as a container to situate and analyse other types of research knowledge.
Whilst based at The Sir John Cass School of Art, Architecture and Design (The Cass), teaching for this master’s degree is flexible and responsive, taking place in studios, seminars, workshops, presentations, at exhibitions, on walks and through social media and other online communication tools. This range of teaching methods allows tutors to adapt as your needs change throughout the course.
The lecturers are contemporary urban practitioners and researchers, and numerous guests and commentators are also invited to participate. As a result you’ll begin to build a network of relevant contacts, all the while keeping up with the latest developments in urban design and planning.
You will be required to have:
- A minimum of a lower second-class (2.2) honours degree in architecture, spatial planning, landscape architecture or a related design subject
- Mathematics GCSE at grade C/4 or above (or equivalent)
- A design portfolio for presentation
- A personal statement articulating academic and professional interests and ambition
If you don’t have the qualifications above but do have a portfolio of substantial relevant experience in the field of architecture, urban design, interior design or a similar discourse you will be asked to attend an interview to demonstrate your competency for this course.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Planning and Urban Theory
- Economics of Place
- Urban Design and Spatial Planning
- Urban Practice
- Design Thesis
Modules and module details are subject to change over time
- UK/EU students: £8,950 per year
- International students: £13,250 per year
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please check the university website for more information.
You’ll learn how to use the tools of urban design and urban research with a promotional approach, as a prompt for policy change and as a form of activism, which in turn will help you to effect real change in the specialism you later pursue.
The course would suit you if you are:
- A practising planner, architect or other design professional wishing to specialise in urban design
- An urban design practitioner who requires knowledge of spatial planning
- A graduate with a relevant degree, wishing to obtain a postgraduate qualification in planning and urban design
- A student with a relevant London Metropolitan University undergraduate degree, especially an architecture degree, who wishes to progress into one of the above professions
- A MArch student hoping to gain a planning qualification in addition to RIBA Part 2
About this institute
London Metropolitan University
Based in England’s historic capital city, London Metropolitan University has a rich history of education with its roots dating back to 1848. Taking its current form following a merger of two well-renowned universities in 2002, it offers a wide range...
Want to know more about Architecture, Cities and Urbanism MA (Full-time)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.
You may also like...
Mendrisio , Switzerland