MA in Mass Communications
Educational aims of the programme:
The programme will explore mass communications across a range of media forms including: entertainment media, broadcast and digital, public relations, advertising and journalism. The programme will address issues of policy, governance, professional practice, international communication flows, digitalisation, political economy, cultural practice and research methods. The programme aims to provide a progressive and challenging curriculum that is informed by contemporary research and responsive to the changing nature of the Communication industries.
The specific aims of the programme are to enable students to:
- Critique key theories and concepts that underpin the study of mass communications Undertake the evaluation of contemporary mass communications scholarship and professional practice
- Critically debate the political, legal and ethical aspects of media and communication processes, systems and participation
- Recognise and anticipate developments in the role played by media and communication in economic and political organisation at local, national, regional, international and global levels
- Carry out original and independent research through the development of a critical appreciation of research methodologies appropriate for the study of media and mass communications
- Meet the challenges of employment in a global society through the development of their intellectual, analytical and research skills related to the study of mass communication
The entry requirements for admission are:
- An accredited UK Honours degree with minimum 2.2 classification or international equivalent. Some professional qualifications may also be acceptable. Extensive professional experience may also be considered in exceptional cases.
- Official transcripts from all universities, colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions attended.
- English Proficiency: Students satisfy the English proficiency requirements provided they present a GCSE score with a minimum grade of “C” or IELTS (Academic) with an overall score of at least 6.0 (and no individual component lower than 5.5) or equivalent qualification. Students who do not acquire the above mentioned qualifications are required to take the online Academic English Placement Test. This is an IELTS-type test (Reading & Writing) where students need to score an overall 6.0 (with no individual component lower than 5.5).
- Personal Statement (minimum 500 words) explaining how the programme of study will benefit the student’s career progression.
- Up to date CV
- Two references (academic or professional) listed on CV stating referee’s full name, contact details, and relationship to the applicant.
Applications from non-standard applicants are welcome and will be considered individually. For more information, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Induction Module
Postgraduate Certificate Level
- Theories Concepts & Debates in Mass Communications
- Digital Cultures
Postgraduate Diploma Level
- New Media: Policy and Practice
- Perspectives on Mass Communication Research Methods
Postgraduate Award Level
- Mass Communications Dissertation
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available. Please visit the university website for more information.
Please visit the university website for more information about tuition fees.
About this institute
Liverpool John Moores University - Unicaf
The Liverpool Mechanics Institute was founded by people of power and influence who recognised the transformative effects of education and the impact that learning and aspiration could have on individuals, communities and society. It was the first such institution to...
Want to know more about MA in Mass Communications? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Campbellsville, United States of America