About this program
Both the ocean and freshwater bodies cover more than 70% of the planet and over 40% of the human population lives in coastal areas. One of the challenges for future researchers and decision makers is to understand the functioning of the aquatic systems for a better management of water resources.
The Master of Science in aquatic ecology is a program at the advanced level, equivalent to 120 higher education credits. The program is international, multidisciplinary and oriented towards current topics in aquatic microbiology, marine ecology and environmental policies
The selection of students who have applied is based on academic excellence and individual assessment. All applicants should apply via universityadmissions.se. The application should include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, diplomas and references.
General entry requirements for secondcycle studies and specific entry requirements:
- 90 credits in Biology/Ecology/Microbiology including an independent project/degree
project worth at least 15 credits or the equivalent.
- English B/6 or equivalent.
For more information about admission requirements, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
During the first year, students are introduced to the latest research in the field of aquatic ecology/marine ecology and will deepen their knowledge of marine microbiology, advanced systematics, and resources and ecology of marine waters. The function and evolution of different aquatic systems ranging from polar to tropical and from coastal to deep ecosystems are discussed in the light of the newest molecular advances in the field. Students are also introduced to simulation modelling and ecological applications that can offer solutions to complex management problems of water resources, including freshwater resources.
The second year is focused on a research project including a written thesis (30-60 higher education credits) with an appropriate advisor. The Masters thesis is carried out in fields related to research interests at the Marine Science Centre at Linnaeus University, including practicals giving the opportunity to apply acquired knowledge.
- Research Methodology in the Natural Sciences
- Introduction to Research in Aquatic Ecology
- Molecular Ecology
- Project Course in Aquatic Ecology I
- Project Course in Aquatic Ecology II
- Project Course in Biology
- Project Course in Aquatic Ecology III
- Degree Project in Biology
Tuition fee, first payment: 77,500 SEK
Tuition fee, total: 309,600 SEK
- Master of Science (120 credits) with specialisation in Aquatic Ecology.
- Main field of study: Biology.
- The degree certificate is bilingual (Swedish/English). The Degree Certificate is
accompanied by a Diploma Supplement (English).
After successfully completing the program for a Degree of Master the student should
be able to:
- understand and apply the principles of Aquatic Ecology including the dynamic
processes that affect aquatic organisms in coastal ecosystems,
- demonstrate knowledge of water systems from freshwater streams to marine areas,
- demonstrate skills in how to perform laboratory and field work in the Aquatic Ecology
- use the knowledge in Aquatic Ecology, integrate it with those of other disciplines, and
contribute to the development of sustainable technologies.
The program is designed to prepare professionals interested in the field of aquatic ecology and sustainable environmental strategies for future careers as researchers, educators, decision makers and consultants.
Message the school
About this institute
Linnaeus University is a modern, international university in south east of Sweden. We are located in two nature-loving cities, one by the Baltic sea and one surrounded by lakes in the greenest city in Europe. We offer a modern university,...
Want to know more about Aquatic Ecology? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!