Earn an MA in Theology and Religious Studies at Leiden University
This multi-disciplinary Master’s programme allows you to focus on either religion, culture and society in general or more specifically on the dynamics of Christianity in its diverse forms.
Religion, Culture and Society allows you to study a broad spectrum of religions and their manifestations. Important themes throughout the curriculum are modernization and globalization and their impacts on religion and its place in society.
Christianity: the Dynamics of Diversity focusses on the changing role of Christianity in society, from the early modern period up to the present day. Important themes are the impact of biblical criticism, modern historical scholarship, science and cultural transfers.
- Leiden University is famous for its wide range of specialisms and outstanding scholarship, providing you with an excellent basis for the study of religion from a comparative perspective.
- 5 specialist staff members support the unique profile in Christianity.
- Courses consist both of theory and applied practice, offering you hands-on experience; all the necessary research skills, tools and historical sources are made available.
- A variety of alternating electives gives you freedom of choice. You can specialize in one of many religious traditions, or opt for a methodological approach.
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the general academic skills.
- Comparable qualities in the field of knowledge, understanding and skills with those acquired upon graduating from one of the bachelor’s programs in theology from Leiden University
- Knowledge in the field of theology, religious studies and history OR knowledge of the study of Christianity, Islam and/or Judaism
- Knowledge of methodologies of either social sciences or history and/or philology
- The ability to reflect on current debates and developments regarding religion
- The ability to formulate problems and the skill to select the correct methodological approach as well as literature/data to analyze these problems
- Applicants may be asked to submit a writing sample, proving the aforementioned qualities in the field of knowledge, understanding and skills
- Sufficient command of English (IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 (internet-based) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Master of Arts in Theology and Religious Studies
With a long and rich history, Leiden University is the oldest in the Netherlands. Students may choose to study from 7 faculties and 3 campuses, watch this video to learn what Leiden can offer you!
About this institute
Services & Facilities
Founded in 1575, Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands offering a wide variety of programs. Leiden University is a truly international university, uniting people and knowledge from all corners of the world. The university is comprised of...
Want to find out more about this program? Fill in your details below and receive the brochure.
Be the first to write a review!
Win a €5000 scholarship to study in Europe
Planning on studying a Master's degree in Europe? We're offering a scholarship to help cover your tuition fees and get you one step closer to your next great adventure!
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.