Bachelor of Applied Science in Sustainable AgricultureKwantlen Polytechnic University
Bachelor of Applied Science in Sustainable Agriculture
The Bachelor of Applied Science in Sustainable Agriculture degree is unique to North America and is distinguished from other agriculture degree programs by providing a broad scope of study related to sustainable food production as an integral and fundamentally critical element of sustainable human existence. Through a distinctive and exceptional combination of classroom and farm-based learning, the program offers a comprehensive perspective on:
- The science of agro-ecosystem design and stewardship;
- Innovative and ecologically sound crop production methods;
- Sustainable farm business management; and,
- The economic, social, and environmental challenges facing our food system
The Faculty's Admission Requirements, which consist of KPU's undergraduate English Proficiency Requirement.
For more information, please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
- Sustainable Agriculture for the 21st Century
- Food System Field Analysis
- Introductory Biology I
- Introductory Biology II
- Introduction to University Writing
- Environmental Chemistry I
- or The Structure of Matter
- Select one of the following:
- Confronting Moral Issues: Introduction to Ethics
- Environmental Ethics
- Sustainability: Analysis and Ethics
- Plant Science
- Soil Stewardship and Management
- Sustainable Human Economy
- Ecologically Based Pest Management
- Agriculture and Food Systems
- Statistics I
- Select one of the following:
- Canadian Government and Politics
- Introduction to Political Science
- Sustainability and Government
- Experimental Design & Analysis
- Animal Agriculture
- Vegetable Crop Production
- Fruit and Nut Crop Production
- Agroecosystem Management I
- Agro-Ecosystems Management II
- Crop Physiology and Ecology
- Research Project I
- Business of Agriculture
- Agro-Ecosystems Management III
- World Trends in Agriculture
- Research Project II
Scholarships & funding
Kwantlen Polytechnic University offers scholarship opportunities to new students, in amounts up to $20,000 CAD. For details and application requirements, please contact the university.
The curriculum is designed in recognition of the need for both practical and academic training within the new powerful movement in sustainable agriculture. Students will be immersed in a setting which fosters experiential learning and exploring personal interests and inclination. During our four year Bachelor degree program, students will work to realize three major learning outcomes:
- The ability to grow fruit and vegetable crops within a sustainable ecological context. A full spectrum of experiential field-based agricultural courses are offered in Year 3 which, by necessity, follows a complete crop cycle beginning in the spring and extending through summer into the fall. These applied courses function as a mechanism to bring the theoretical concepts and principles of sustainable agro-ecosystem design, function and management to practical realization.
- Develop the business, sales and marketing skills necessary to manage a sustainable agricultural farming business. The development of these skills is facilitated by the inclusion of a broad base of foundational courses supplemented by a multidisciplinary business management course in Year Four.
- Develop practical, problem solving and research skills as well as an understanding of government, economic and business environments and policies needed to address issues of and advance sustainable agri-food systems, as related to employment in government, non-government organizations and the private sector.
Sustainable, local food production is a rapidly developing component of sustainable community/ regional planning and development is on the minds of the public and governments alike. Program graduates will be sought after in areas as diverse as planning, resource management, politics, government, non-government organizations, related business, and production agriculture.
About this institute
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) is Canada’s leading polytechnic university. KPU’s five campuses are all located in Metro Vancouver, a modern and multicultural region that has incredible natural beauty, the most temperate weather in Canada, and many career opportunities. With guaranteed...
Want to know more about Bachelor of Applied Science in Sustainable Agriculture? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
Win an iPad!
Take our survey and be in to win a brand new iPad for your studies! Your response will help future students find their perfect study abroad opportunity.
Career test - find your perfect career
Take our free career test that will match you with programs and careers based on your interests and personality.