Master of Biomedical Engineering (Leuven)KU Leuven
Master of Biomedical Engineering (Leuven)
All available course dates
Technology in contemporary medicine has evolved to where computers and other high-tech devices are essential in hospitals, rehabilitation centres and private medical practices. KU Leuven's Master of Biomedical Engineering was created to respond to the increased technological needs in healthcare and to provide more and better care with less people and to obtain cost-effectiveness in our healthcare systems.
What is the Master of Biomedical Engineering all about?
The Master of Biomedical Engineering provides you with a comprehensive overview of all areas in biomedical engineering, and prepares you for an active role in biomechanics, biomaterials, medical sensors, biosignal processing, medical imaging and tissue engineering.
The programme's common core builds on basic medical knowledge (covering human cell biology, anatomy and physiology) and fundamentals in engineering science taught in the bachelor's programme of biomedical engineering and covering medical technology such as tissue mechanics and modelling in tissue physiology. It provides a comprehensive view of advanced contemporary fields in biomedical engineering, covering biomedical imaging, data processing, bioinstrumentation, multiphysics, biofluid mechanics, bioinformatics as well as medical equipment and regulatory affairs. In addition, the core programme offers contemporary practices and research based learning including a research training in medical technology and a master’s thesis. The elective courses open up the possibility of developing a technical specialisation more deeply and are grouped into five clusters:
- Tissue Engineering
- Biomedical Data Analytics
- Bio-informatics and AI
The programme is rounded off with a selection of general interest courses, designed to equip the student with transferable skills.
- The programme responds to the increased technological needs in healthcare. These needs result, among others, from the ageing population, the challenge to provide more and better care with less people and the challenge to obtain cost-effectiveness in our healthcare system.
- It aims to deliver interdisciplinary-trained biomedical engineers who can act as integrator between medical and technological specialists by understanding the medical needs and by translating them into engineering requirements. Conversely, these biomedical engineers are able to design and produce medical devices and procedures that can effectively solve problems through their integration in clinical practice.
- The curriculum builds on cutting-edge research conducted by an internationally renowned teaching staff spread across several departments and leading strong research groups in the field of biomedical engineering. Their strong ties with the nearby university hospital UZ Leuven and the biomedical engineering sector are a major asset to the master’s programme.
- At the Faculty of Engineering Science, students are given the opportunity to complete one or two semesters of their degree within the Erasmus+ programme at a European university, or a university outside Europe. Students are also encouraged to carry out industrial and research internships abroad under the supervision of the Internship Coordinator.
Please consult the programme website for recent information on admission requirements.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL® test is accepted by 10,000+ universities and higher education institutes in over 150 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Scholarships & funding
Please consult our website for recent information on available scholarships.
Please consult our website for recent information on tuition fees.
Careers await you in the medical device industry, R&D engineering, or as a production or certification specialist. In addition, the broad technological background you’ll acquire as a Biomedical Engineer will make you an attractive candidate for employment in conventional industrial sectors. Many alumni find employment within three months of graduation.
Thanks to the rapid innovation taking place in biomedical engineering, KU Leuven offers several PhD places each year, opening the opportunity to continue your education.
About this institute
KU Leuven. Inspiring the Outstanding
KU Leuven is Europe’s most innovative university. Located in Belgium, it is dedicated to research, education, and service to society. KU Leuven is a founding member of the League of European Research Universities (LERU) and has a strong European and...
Why study at KU Leuven
A Highly Ranked University
According to international rankings, KU Leuven is among the best 100 universities in the world. Moreover, KU Leuven was ranked as most innovative university of Europe by Reuters four years in a row (2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019). All of KU Leuven’s disciplines proudly belong to the top 100 of their field. Scholars and researchers, teachers and visionaries, thinkers and makers all have their place in KU Leuven’s fertile intellectual habitat.
Most Innovative University in Europe
KU Leuven has been identified as Europe’s most innovative university for four years in a row by Reuters. By developing the most important drug against HIV, a new type of solar panel that converts oxygen into hydrogen and uncovering the secrets of Sagalassos, KU Leuven researchers have a profound impact on our everyday lives in nearly all fields of research. That innovative character is deeply embedded in the way we teach our students, by integrating relevant guest lectures, taking an Interdisciplinary approach and opening the most advanced research and education facilities.
A Comprehensive University
As a comprehensive university, KU Leuven offers a wide range of disciplines organized by 15 faculties. Each of these disciplines is ranked in the top 100 of its field according to the THE World University Rankings by subject. Half of the university’s faculties are even in the top 50 within their fields of study.
Want to know more about Master of Biomedical Engineering (Leuven)? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!
You may also like...
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates