Master of Biomedical EngineeringKU Leuven
Master of Biomedical Engineering
All available course dates
About this program
Master of Biomedical Engineering
Technology in contemporary medicine has evolved to where computers and other high-tech devices are essential in hospitals, rehabilitation centres and private medical practices. The Master in Biomedical Engineering was created to respond to the increased technological needs in healthcare and to provide more and better care with less people and to obtain cost-effectiveness in our healthcare systems.
In this master's program you will learn to design and produce biomedical-technological products and/or biomedical information-processing services. To this end, an additional basis is laid for medical subjects about the functioning of our organism. The knowledge of the basic technological subjects is then combined with these basic medical subjects in specialty subjects that cover the whole range of new developments in medical technology: biomechanics, medical image processing, biomaterials, processing of medical signals, tissue engineering, robotic surgery, bioinformatics, business management in medical technology, ... The biomedical engineer thus becomes an integrator par excellence, who applies his engineering activities in the biomedical industry, hospitals, health care and government.
The common core of this program builds further on basic medical knowledge (covering human cell biology, anatomy and physiology) and fundamentals in engineering science taught in the bachelor in biomedical engineering and covering fundamentals in medical technology such as tissue biomechanics and modelling in tissue physiology.
The admission policy is intended to ensure equal opportunity of access to higher education for qualified European and third country students. There are three ways to be admitted to the program:
- Direct admission, on the basis of a relevant degree obtained in the Flemish Community. You can check the list of relevant programs here.
- After a preparatory program, which is meant for students that obtained a degree at an institution of the Flemish Community that does not give immediate access to this program. You can check the list of programs that require a preparatory or bridging program here.
- After an admission process, which is meant for students that obtained a degree outside the Flemish Community. They have to meet the conditions below.
All applications from students who have obtained a degree outside the Flemish Community are evaluated by both KU Leuven Admissions Office and the relevant master’s program director. Final admission decisions will made be at the discretion of the Faculty.
- Academic background: applicants are asked to provide the list of courses they followed during their previous education. If needed it is recommended to provide also additional information (content of the courses, course credits, etc.) on the courses they have taken during their previous studies. The applicants will be scored based on the depth and broadness of their background.
- Academic excellence: applicants are asked to provide information on the obtained grades/marks for the individual courses and the GPA of their previous education, and an explanation of the score system that was applied. The applicants will be scored based on the obtained scores and GPA.
- GRE test results: in order to be considered for admission, applicants are required to submit their GRE score (at the moment, there is no minimum requirement for GRE scores). Please contact ETS requesting an original score card to be forwarded to us using the following Institutional Code: 0749. Students who obtained a bachelor’s or a master’s degree in one of the EEA countries, the UK, or Switzerland are exempted from providing GRE scores. However, submitting GRE scores might still be considered as an asset when applying.
- English language proficiency: students should have a good command of English, both spoken and written.
For more information about admission requirements, Please visit the university website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!Learn more
Chat with students
- Biomedical Measurements and Stimulation
- Biomedical Data Processing
- Biofluid Mechanics
- Numerical Modelling in Biomedical Engineering
- Medical Imaging and Analysis
- Medical Equipment
- Regulatory Affairs
- Research Training in Biomedical Technology
- Master's Thesis
- Religie, zingeving en levensbeschouwing
- Religie, zingeving en levensbeschouwing
- Engels in de bedrijfsomgeving
- Frans in de bedrijfsomgeving
- Foundations of Bioethics
- Dutch Language and Cultures
- Studium generale: mens- en wereldbeelden
- Ethics and Law in Biomedical Research
- Stage studiebegeleiding: chemische technologie
- Stage studiebegeleiding: Werktuigkunde
- Innovation Management and Strategy
- Engineering Economy
- Management and Information Technology
- Bedrijfsstage: Biomedische Technologie / Industrial Internship: Biomedical Engineering
- Management and Policy Aspects of Technology in Healthcare
- ICT Service Management
- Total Quality Management
- Intellectual Property Management
- Introduction to Management and Strategy
- Engineering & Entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurship in de praktijk / in practice
- Entrepreneurship in practice / service-learning
- Technology Entrepreneurship and New Business Development
- Project Management
Scholarships & funding
Several scholarship options are available, Please visit the university website for more information.
The courses taught in English and Dutch.
Please visit the university website for more information about tuition fees
Credits: 120 ECTS
Industry, government, hospitals and social insurance companies are in need of engineers with a specific training in the multidisciplinary domain of biomedical engineering. These engineers can expertly integrate technological knowledge (e.g. in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and material sciences) with medical knowledge. The broad technological education of the program also equips biomedical engineers with professional attributes that are attractive to various classical industrial sectors.
Message the school
About this institute
KU Leuven. Inspiring the Outstanding
KU Leuven is Europe’s most innovative university. Located in Belgium, it is dedicated to research, education, and service to society. KU Leuven is a founding member of the League of European Research Universities (LERU) and has a strong European and...
Why study at KU Leuven
A Highly Ranked University
According to international rankings, KU Leuven is among the best 100 universities in the world. Moreover, KU Leuven was ranked as most innovative university of Europe by Reuters four years in a row (2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019). All of KU Leuven’s disciplines proudly belong to the top 100 of their field. Scholars and researchers, teachers and visionaries, thinkers and makers all have their place in KU Leuven’s fertile intellectual habitat.
Most Innovative University in Europe
KU Leuven has been identified as Europe’s most innovative university for four years in a row by Reuters. By developing the most important drug against HIV, a new type of solar panel that converts oxygen into hydrogen and uncovering the secrets of Sagalassos, KU Leuven researchers have a profound impact on our everyday lives in nearly all fields of research. That innovative character is deeply embedded in the way we teach our students, by integrating relevant guest lectures, taking an Interdisciplinary approach and opening the most advanced research and education facilities.
A Comprehensive University
As a comprehensive university, KU Leuven offers a wide range of disciplines organized by 15 faculties. Each of these disciplines is ranked in the top 100 of its field according to the THE World University Rankings by subject. Half of the university’s faculties are even in the top 50 within their fields of study.
Want to know more about Master of Biomedical Engineering? Fill out the following form and we'll pass your details on to a representative from the school, who will respond to your enquiry.
Be the first to write a review!